Building an Inductor

Xeeshan Qureshi

Joined Jan 13, 2009
Hi,
can someone tell me how i can build an inductor of 25H. It is not available in the market.
I don't have an LCR meter (an inductance meter precisely), is there any other method to check the 25H i'll build...?
thanx

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi,
can someone tell me how i can build an inductor of 25H. It is not available in the market.
I don't have an LCR meter (an inductance meter precisely), is there any other method to check the 25H i'll build...?
thanx

The simplest way to do this is with a high permeability ferrite toroidal core. These are available in different permeabilities from Amidon Electronics, Palomar Engineers, and a few others. There are also pot-core ferrites available...a little easier to wind with small wire, but quite a bit more expensive.

eric

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was planning on starting a thread to measure inductance. The easiest way I can think of is a simple sine wave generator, say around 100 - 1Khz. Most decent DVMs can measure the AC at these frequencies. So you put a resistor in series with the inductor, measure the input AC value, measure the AC value across the inductor, the ohm value in the coil, frequency, and plug the values into reluctance math (don't forget the vector for phase shift).

A high end DVM will measure frequency, and AC values, the rest is math.

Basically it was a continuation of this thread.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What is the use of the VERY large inductor?
Is it really 25 H ?
Or is it 25 mH or 25 μH or even 25 nH?

Greetings,
Bertus

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
An FT-240 type W Ferrite Core would need 1352 turns of 40 Gauge wire (larger gauge wire won't fit), length of wire is 225 ft. Max current = 1mA

\(FT-240-W \rightarrow A_{\small{L}}= \frac{13960mH}{(1000 x N)^{\tiny2}\)

--ETA: 25H is very huge, and would block nearly everything other than DC, with very little current ability. Although a Laminiated iron core, such as in a power transformer, may allow larger wire, the inductor would be over 10 pounds to have any kind of current handling ability.

--ETA Again, for fun, I tried an air core: About 280 lbs of 18 Gauge wire, in a muli-layer spiral with 87,000 turns, needing 12.5 miles of wire, with the end result 3 feet thick, and 27 feet in diameter. This should explain why most posts are asking if MilliHenries or Microhenries was intended.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Gee, are you sure about those air core numbers, thatoneguy? :confused:
AWG 20 magnet wire on a 3" wide 12" diameter bobbin, 6765 turns, 92 turns/layer, 73.4 layers, avg diameter 14.4", outside diameter 16.8", 25,487 feet of wire, 259 Ohms resistance. Just over 25H inductance.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
That's for a spiral wound, thin/fat disc reltative to diameter, rather than a long coil. I may have missed a decimal point on my slide rule though. :eek:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I think a potcore may be a more DIY friendly inductor solution for this large an inductor. I look forward to the OP's explanation for the need for such a large valued inductor.

hgmjr

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Not impossible, I have a 10H , 85Ω, 300mA choke by Triad. Abuot 12 lb. About 4X4X5 in. Wonder what inducteace of microwave trabsformer 2000 V winding?

Please let us know if you have answers to those critical questions already asked:
what level of current?
what level of DC resistance do you need?
what kind of signal are you planning to apply to it?

Without these information, everything else is speculation

Xeeshan Qureshi

Joined Jan 13, 2009
are you sure its 25H
or is it 25uH
ooooopssss:(
you are right
250mH and 500mH are what i require... not 25H

What is the current level and operating frequency?
operating frequency 830-890MHz (1200MHz peak boosted).

That's a pretty big inductor.

You might be able to use a gyrator circuit instead. A gyrator is a circuit designed to
simulate an inductor for cases like this when an actual inductor is unavailable or
impractical.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=4824&highlight=gyrator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrator
Dear respected! i've checked the external reference links, but i'm still unable to understand how to calculate values of R and C in the gyrator circuit, which'll make gyrator equivalent to my required values of inductances. Could you please put all those equations here?
Regards in advance.