Building an amplifier to drive a noise diode

ngmwave

Joined Dec 11, 2011
I am trying to use a Noise/Com NC302L noise diode to balance the output of a 12 GHz microwave radiometer receiver. The balancing is done by injecting the noise diode signal into the receiver input via a directional coupler. The noise diode generates a 12 GHz signal of increasing power as the DC voltage increases between 7 and 18 volts, with current increasing from 0 to 10 ma. To accomplish the balancing I sample the receiver output (0 to 10 volts) and input it into an op amp to energize the diode. I use a OPA445 power op amp with a 22 volt supply in a simple inverting configuration hoping to get an output of up to 18 volts at 10 ma. However, I find that the noise diode loads down the op amp, reducing its output voltage from 19 volts to a maximum of 14 volts at 6 ma independent of the op amp gain. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

ngmwave

Joined Dec 11, 2011
You are correct that the specs show it being used up to 3 GHz. However, by
using higher volatages and currents it easily generate large output at 12 GHz and beyond. My 12 GHz microwave radiometer is a highly sensitive receiver and detects a large signal strength from the diode even through a 10 dB coupler when using voltages between 7 and 18 volts.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Very clever arrangement on your part! i don't think I've ever seen a noise diode dynamically driven like that!

You can use a simple pass transistor in an emitter follower configuration to drive the diode, or even a darlington pair. (after the op amp).

Good luck! let us know how it turns out!

Eric