Building An Advanced Experimenters Kit For Free, How Do I

HowdeeDoodee

Joined Dec 28, 2006
I would like your ideas on how to build an advanced experimenters kit out of free salvaged parts. Where do I start? What kinds of free equipment would have the best parts, etc. etc.

Thank you in advance for replies.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'd say that the best value nowadays for free salvaged parts for advanced experimenters would have to be retired Navy F-14D Tomcats. Their 10kw X-band TWT transmitter coupled with the phased array antenna would be a boon for getting that 1st cup of coffee hot most rikky-tic at zero-dark thirty. Of course, you'd need a Dash Sixty turbine powered 3-phase 115v 400Hz power cart with auxiliary 28v power, but hey - you gotta have hot coffee, right?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Think ranges of parts, resistors, capacitors. Transistors, diodes, and chips are a bit more problematic.

Personally I think it would better to by a good 300 in 1 project kit. It has schematics to go with all the parts. When my Dad retired an old color TV (with a rounded display) it kept me in resistors and to a lesser extent capacitors for a year or so, but you will always have to buy specialty parts.

What part of the world are you in?

inventorjack

Joined Apr 4, 2009
I'd say that the best value nowadays for free salvaged parts for advanced experimenters would have to be retired Navy F-14D Tomcats. Their 10kw X-band TWT transmitter coupled with the phased array antenna would be a boon for getting that 1st cup of coffee hot most rikky-tic at zero-dark thirty. Of course, you'd need a Dash Sixty turbine powered 3-phase 115v 400Hz power cart with auxiliary 28v power, but hey - you gotta have hot coffee, right?
Any suggestions on making toast? :D

inventorjack

Joined Apr 4, 2009
One suggestion I'd make is to put a post on craigslist asking for electronic components. I did a couple years back and met some really awesome retired EEs, heard interesting stories about electronics, and got some great parts for free. There are always people who have "been there, done that" that would love to share their knowledge as well as their components.