Building a solar panel

andrecampeau

Joined Apr 8, 2009
Hi.

I would like to build a 100W solar panel for my tent trailer. I have seen some pdfs for sale on the net for how to build solar panels but they are up to $50 or more. Are they worth it? Would anyone have a recommendation as to where to get the best information on how to build one and to get the parts? Is there a good place to get the parts in Canada?

Any information would be great.

Thanks

Andre

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Can you provide additional detail? Are you wanting to build a PV module from discreet cells? Or do you wish to buy a pre-made module and integrate it into a system?

andrecampeau

Joined Apr 8, 2009
I would like to build a PV module. They are so expensive to buy pre-made. I'm sure it must be cheaper if I could build it. I don't have a lot of experience with electronics but I'm sure I can build it with the proper instructions. I already have a 30W panel that I purchased for my trailer but that's not enough, and paying close to $1000 for a 100W panel is just too much.

Thanks

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You'll need to purchase individual cells, mount and solder them, and make sure the frame will hold up to any stresses applied. (Will you be zipping down the turnpike at 120kph with the panel strapped to the roof?)

All the caveats applicable to shopping for modules apply when shopping for cells. Full data on individual cells is harder to come by than full data on assembled modules.

I anticipate you will pay four to seven times as much for individual cells as for a commercial module.