building a small led cube

jordanb

Joined Oct 1, 2012
Hi, I'm new to forum so please be gentle, just saw some videos on youtube with an 8x8x8 led cube and it has got me really interested.

I looked into how to build one of them and very quickly realised that it was way way out of my depth.

Therefore I am looking into building a 3x3x3 cube to get a good understanding of how to wire it up and build it before taking on the bigger challenge.

I have looked online for very detailed step by step instructions for a complete beginner, but so far have not found anything that I am looking for.

Does anyone have a link handy that would be what I am looking for? or if anyone could compile a list of exactly what is needed and where to purchase in UK it would be appreciated.

If I was to purchase an Arduino board, what one would be best suited to my project? and could it be used for larger cube builds?

many thanks,

Jordan

jordanb

Joined Oct 1, 2012
hi many thanks for the link:)

I have been looking further and have found this 5x5x5 kit on ebay from canada

LINK

Does the kit seem ok, ie well priced, and look ok for a complete beginner to attempt?

Also what is the best colour of leds for this cube for clarity, I quite like the blue ones, but some of the vids on youtube with blue leds, the patterns seem kind of blurry due to either the brightness of the leds or could just be the camera used not capturing the video properly.

thanks,

Jordan