Building a model elevator!

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
Hallo! And thank you for your visit! You may turn that "thank you" into a thousand thanks if you do help me ;)

If my simple mind posted this at the wrong place i would love to be redirected so that i can get more expertly answers and advice(s?!)

To start i would like to say:
I am from Norway and i am 16 years old. That means that i cannot buy stuff over the internet. (I do not know how it is in other countries, but you have to be 18 to get any access to internet pay-methods in Norway.)

I may be computer-wizz or how that crazy word is spelled, but i am at the same time a newbie at making electronic stuff. Now, i would like to build a advanced elevator for a "school project". It isnt really a school project, i just want to impress the teacher after the first week of a new school. (I need pretty good grades to get where i want in life.)

Back to the point! This advanced elevator has to be very clearly explained so that a baby at tree could figure it out :) I expect to get like 10 replies that contains 2.8% of words i know in English. If you would help me AND make it simple, that thousand thanks would be like a million thanks :)

I have no ideas how i am going to begin so if someone is bored: This is your golden ticket! Make me! Aka a random person in the wide world web happy by sharing your glorious knowledge! I can't figure out anything else to say that makes a bit sense so i will leave it to you now, and i will provide information as it crawls up to my brain. Again, thanks for your time =)!

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
Ah! I forgot some important information! I would like it to about, more or less, 3 stories. And tree buttons so that i show my teacher how awesome my skills are. If this project of mine uses alot of battery then so be it. Ah even better! If i can plug it in to the wall, that would be awesome! By 3 buttons i mean like "Ground floor, first floor and second floor".

Thank you again, and sorry for the double post!

Nik

Joined May 20, 2006
IMHO, you must first decide how to lift and lower the car. Winch ? Lead-screw ? Then decide how to stop the elevator *exactly* at the floors. Micro-switch ? Opto-sensor ? Magnet and reed switch ? Stepper motor and counter ?

Last edited:

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
Well, i will be using a motor. The rest is pretty much up to you! My problem is that there is no tutorial in building an model elevator out there on the web. People just find alot of information and use it, but i don't even know what information to look for :] Sensors would be great if that is not too expensive or complicated?

And you have already earned your thousand thanks!

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If you know how long it takes to up a floor, you could try a timer. So you could run the motor for 1 second to go up to floor one, or 2 seconds to go up to floor two. I don't know how you could go down with this system, you'd have to have a reverse switch. This would work without sensors, but you don't know whether to go up or down when you select a floor.

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
If you know how long it takes to up a floor, you could try a timer. So you could run the motor for 1 second to go up to floor one, or 2 seconds to go up to floor two. I don't know how you could go down with this system, you'd have to have a reverse switch. This would work without sensors, but you don't know whether to go up or down when you select a floor.
Now that wouldnt be all that accurate, huh?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If you had an adjustment (potentiometer) it would be fairly accurate. However, it would never be as accurate as a dedicated sensor based system.

How good are you at using microcontrollers? This may be a solution.

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
If you had an adjustment (potentiometer) it would be fairly accurate. However, it would never be as accurate as a dedicated sensor based system.

How good are you at using microcontrollers? This may be a solution.

To put it like this: I had to google that! But with a little work i think i can do that fairly easy. We are actually starting in that direction in a few days. (Btw we have as a year goal for the whole class to make an model elevator so it would be prima if you could make one "on my own"!)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

How close to a real elevator do you want your elevator to be?
Must it check the inner and outer door?
Must it check if it is at a level?
Must it check the level to open the doors?

You can use the search function on the forum as it has been asked several times.

Bertus

Heavydoody

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Micro switches similar to those controlling interior lighting on cars would work. Do you have an automotive scrap yard nearby? The only difficulty here would be getting the mechanical adjustment right.

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
Hello,

How close to a real elevator do you want your elevator to be?
Must it check the inner and outer door?
Must it check if it is at a level?
Must it check the level to open the doors?

You can use the search function on the forum as it has been asked several times.

Bertus
I am happy as long as it moves and opens and closes! And yes, i would like if the elevator didn't stop in the middle of two floors!

I am looking for someone with the time to set up a blueprint, drawn plan, or something like that for me.

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
Micro switches similar to those controlling interior lighting on cars would work. Do you have an automotive scrap yard nearby? The only difficulty here would be getting the mechanical adjustment right.
We have no such thing :\ But i can find other ways to get it!

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
You could have a system where an UP button makes the elevator go to the next floor and a DOWN button makes it go to the previous floor. Then, you could have it open and close the doors when it reaches or leaves a floor. This would be fairly simple to do without any "electronics" at all; just some limit switches and motors.

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
You could have a system where an UP button makes the elevator go to the next floor and a DOWN button makes it go to the previous floor. Then, you could have it open and close the doors when it reaches or leaves a floor. This would be fairly simple to do without any "electronics" at all; just some limit switches and motors.
May i ask you to explain how this is overall set up? :)

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Sure.

You press up or down and some circuit turns on the motor to make it go up or down. Each floor has a normally closed switch; each switch is wired in series (with a ~100µF capacitor across it, will explain this later.) So when the elevator reaches the right floor, it turns off the motor by breaking the circuit. You might be thinking, what about when it wants to go? The capacitor helps it out by briefly letting current flow, allowing the contact to close and for the elevator to go.

Door opening and closing could be controlled by a second switch. The switch sets the direction of a motor and limit switches stop the motor reaching the end. A lot of switches, but it would work.

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
Sure.

You press up or down and some circuit turns on the motor to make it go up or down. Each floor has a normally closed switch; each switch is wired in series (with a ~100µF capacitor across it, will explain this later.) So when the elevator reaches the right floor, it turns off the motor by breaking the circuit. You might be thinking, what about when it wants to go? The capacitor helps it out by briefly letting current flow, allowing the contact to close and for the elevator to go.

Door opening and closing could be controlled by a second switch. The switch sets the direction of a motor and limit switches stop the motor reaching the end. A lot of switches, but it would work.
Thank you so much! What exactly are the things i need here, and how much of what? If it is OK with you, i would like it if i could ask you about things. And i can post pictures as i progress?

Last edited:

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Yeah, you can ask questions. Feel free.

I realised after I posted that you'd also need a timer on the motor signal, about the same time it takes to go up or down. This isn't used to control the motor, but ensure the capacitor zeroes out. You may also need a resistor across the capacitor. But we'll see. You should get the basic model actually working before building the electronics.

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
@Tom66 You wouldnt be open to donate your e-mail to me for easier communication? (If you use a messenger such as: MSN or Skype)

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I would prefer to keep communication on the forum; that way, people can correct me if I am wrong and others can contribute.

I don't have any IM or MSN accounts.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Wow school must have changed since I was there...
I always thought you impress teachers with the work YOU can do.. not how well you can get someone on the internet to do the work for you. Maybe you should pick a project you can actually do on your own. Show YOUR skills and things YOU can do.

If you teacher asks you a question I don't think you can say.."hold on let me go email Tom"