Build Your Own Analogue Computer

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That's interesting history, but I don't see that anyone would want to build one now. The only thing it can compute is differential and integral functions, and add and subtract signals--basically the PID functions of an analog feedback loop. ;)

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
*sniff* I would very much like to make one... I'm planning to use today as an opportunity to sort through the articles and persuade my parents that it is okay for me to spend more loot on electronics lol. :)

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hmmmm.... I'd look like a boss when I need to do some integration.

Why do I make any electronic project? I suppose to increase my understanding and for sheer craic.

DMahalko

Joined Oct 5, 2008
And what would you do with it once you built it? It has very limited capabilities.
Why does any hobbyist bother to build anything? You can usually just go out and buy whatever it is you're trying to do, for a tenth of the cost of what it'll take you in time and effort to do it yourself.

I have some selsyns / "sychromotors" including one huge mechanical and now apparently extremely rare selsyn comparator, brand new in their original 50 year old US Military steel shipping cans, which I eventually plan to assemble to demonstrate how they were used in analog bomb plotting computers and analog data tracking/reporting systems.

This will be used for a Wikipedia video demonstration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchro

Scanned, illustrated, previously restricted military document showing how and where they were used in submarines:

Historic Naval Ships Association
Submarine Electrical Installations - June 1946
SELF-SYNCHRONOUS TRANSMITTERS AND INDICATORS
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/fleetsub/elect/chap11.htm

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Imagine making a digital computer out of hard wired electromechanical relays. Don't arrange them logically or mount them, just all soldered together with bits of scrap wire in a giant ball. Something just as simple as a calculator, I can see it; fills an entire room, draws several KW and a cacophony of clicking noises every time you press a digit.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I think it's a good project. Analog computers are still with us! They are hard to recognize, because they are embedded in products and not a stand alone "computer" anymore. If you desire to become an analog designer, then such a project would be an excellent learning experience. And it's just cool besides, especially to us analog guys.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Prior the PC era, the Loadicator, used on board, was an analog computer with a huge number of knobs to enter weights in the different spaces to calculate basically, trim, stability, bending moments and sheer forces.

So many opamps used a lot of power.

Now the whole thing is a piece of software running in a PC. It is compulsory to have it on board, required by the classification societies.

Usually, that PC is supposed to be used exclusively for that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Why does any hobbyist bother to build anything? You can usually just go out and buy whatever it is you're trying to do, for a tenth of the cost of what it'll take you in time and effort to do it yourself.
True. But usually after its built it does something interesting or useful. I just don't see that being the case for an electronic analog computer. :rolleyes: