Build a indicator for Sump pump running

bbzappy

Joined Feb 3, 2014
I have a sump pump and the float switch is mounted on it, I need a simple solution for knowing when the pump is running (like a light bulb). Can this be done (simply) with only having access to where it plugs in ? and inexpensive. and supplies readily accessible supplies . I would appreaciate any help.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You could plug the pump into a current sensing power strip such as this. Then anything you plug into the strip will be turned on when the pump is running.

burger2227

Joined Feb 3, 2014
That depends on the current draw of the sump pump which could be rated higher than the smart strip. If the pump arm has a lever that goes up and down, then a mercury switch could be mounted on the arm to trip a light when the arm moves up or down.

A magnetic reed switch could be used if the arm is near a wall mounting position too.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
If current is to high for strip solution.
These work well.

Run one lead thru opening.
Led lights and switch closes at rated current.

jumpers for 1-200 amps

Attachments

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Would a high value resistor across the ct satisfy?

Is that to keep the theoretical voltage peak in check?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is no visible load or Burden on the CT shown which has a 1:800 ratio as far as open circuit voltage is concerned.
The idea is to measure current.
In a C.T. the voltage is directly proportional to the winding ratio and the current inversely proportional.
So it is necessary to place a load on the secondary, this is why unused C.T.'s have or should have a shorting link across them to avoid the possible high voltages on the secondary.
Max.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
this sounds like it is getting overly complicated, lol.....

You just need to get another one of the sump pump float switch piggyback plugs, cut off one end and connect that to your light bulb (With the same voltage ratings as your pump), then plug this in between the float switch plug, when the float switch supplies power to turn on the pump, the light should also turn on.....

Or you can get a double outlet and box with a cover, wire your float switch to the outlet so that it will supply power to it when the float switch is tripped, plug your sump pump into one outlet and a lightbulb/lamp in the other... whenever the sump pump comes on, the light will also. :)

(K.I.S.S. is the simple rule I always try to follow!)

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I bet it does, and if it does, I would do this (with a separate cord) and wrap a secondary around the primary, with just an LED in series. No resistor. Just experiment with the turns until the LED comes on.
I doubt if you can get enough coupling without a core. Have you done this?:confused:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I've lighted an led direct from a CT and even homemade CT (a few turns on a transformer).
Needed a core for my experiments.