Build 21 to 50 VDC DC-DC Converter

clark2986

Joined Jun 10, 2013
Hi to all experts

I am currently doing a project that needs to build a power optimiser.
I wil need to build a dc-dc converter and use a micro-controller to control the stepping up of voltage on the dc-dc converter by using MPPT (Maximum power point tracking) algorithm.
Currently, i have no idea how to build the dc-dc converter which input is around 21 VDC and output round 50VDC.

Please kind render some aids.

Regards
Clark

rahdirs

Joined May 22, 2013
@clark2986: You could use a step-up transformer if you need isolation between two ends,but if isolation is not required you could do away with a Buck-Boost Converter.

In these DC-to-DC converters, energy is periodically stored into and released from a magnetic field in an inductor or a transformer, typically in the range from 300 kHz to 10 MHz.

I assume you are trying to adjust the duty cycle of the charging voltage (that is, the ratio of on/off time), & control the amount of power transferred.

clark2986

Joined Jun 10, 2013
@rahdirs

Thanks. I dont think i will need isolation and buck converter as the output will always be larger than input.

Please see attached simple boost converter. Will this simple configuration works to convert 21VDC to 50 VDC?

Regards
Clark

Attachments

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I'm building a similar device so i'm interested in any input .

What frequency would this thing have to operate at to work?
How could I increase current handling capability?

(I hope i'm not Hi-jacking the thread , I think the info will be usefull to OP aswell)