Bug Zapper just stopped Zapping,Test Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Joined Jun 3, 2011
Hello All,New to the Forum and need some help.I have a old FI-Shock Inc. Model B-12 Electronic Bug Killer 120v,490 amp,60hz,45w input,4.5kv max 9ma output.This thing has been great for years,Just stopped working,Bulb and Ballast,work great.Just stopped Zapping..I have meters etc.How do I check the transformer,and,what looks like a capacitor to see what one is bad? should I disconnect all the wires from the transformer to check it out,on primary and secondary side? and what am I looking for open on both sides,and no continuity from each wire to the case? and the capacitor?
Guys how do I check these 2 Items out...This zapper has been awesome for years.hate to through out.Please help if at all possible.Have some knowledge of this,but not on the transformer and the capacitor,for testing it.Thankyou.

Attachments

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
With that much environmental damage, I would recommend replacement instead of repair. If you're going to test, make sure the line cord and wire nuts have continuity. Desolder the high voltage terminals. Make sure the grids aren't shorted to each other or the housing. Test for a short from either transformer coil to the laminations/housing). Test the continuity of each transformer coil (primary should be quite low resistance, secondary could be a couple hundred ohms). Make sure the high voltage capacitor is not shorted. Clean and resolder the high voltage terminals. If you have a high voltage probe for your multimeter, you can use that to test the output of the transformer.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I agree with KJ6EAD, and recommend replacement instead of repair.

From the look of the transformer and the bulb ballast [ heavily rusted ] if it has been in service for ? years, you would be money ahead to replace the unit, as the next weakest link in the circuit is bound to fail after the present problem is fixed.

There is a small chance that you may be the next bug it zaps..:D

Beentheredonethat :rolleyes:

Last edited:

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
I will also agree with KJ6EAD and PackratKing. I would also add that I would even question the effectiveness if such devices as well. They are much like those Japanese Beetle catchers, they attract the bug right into your yard where you do not want them! With the bug zapper, if the bugs are hungry enough they will end up having you for dinner instead of choosing martyrdom with a light and high voltage rod!

I'd be more inclined to let the buggers live and try out an electronic bug repellant device.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.