Buffered input to sound card?

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Hey guys,

I record guitar into my PC sometimes, and generally use the mic or line in inputs. Of course, I lose highs due to mismatching, etc. I am thinking a JFET buffer is needed here, easy enough to throw one together.
Question:
Would putting a 4.7V/1W zener diode at the output be a good idea to limit input to <5V to protect the card? In case I use an effect in-line that would boost voltage. And if so, does it matter if the zener goes before or after the output cap on the buffer? In simulation it doesn't seem to matter. Would I need a resistance, or just the zener (not a lot of current here)?
Thanks!

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Depends on desired sound quality. A single transistor and/or a diode will not give good quality over the entire range without several support components.

Would need to know input levels, output levels, input impedance, output impedance, bandwidth/cutoffs to start.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
An op amp would make a pretty good buffer. Its power supply can be used to limit the voltage, or a reverse biased diodes to each side of the power supply ( or other reference voltage ) on the output of the op amp will limit the voltage. I would not use a zeener here.

Bailey45

Joined Oct 27, 2008
A single stage OpAmp would be the simplest idea. If you power your circuit from a USB connector there is no need to limit the output signal of the opamp