Broken Pentium 2 Motherboard

canadaboy25

Joined Jul 21, 2013
Hello, I have an old Pentium 2 motherboard that I think is fried.

I had just brought it out of storage (my first pc
) and booted it up and it worked! I tried uninstalling a stupid program but the pc crashed while doing so and the hard drive got corrupted. I was upset so I just went to bed. The next morning I came down to find that the computer would not turn on. I pulled out my psu tester and the power supply was shot. I took a spare power supply, tested it (worked fine) and plugged it in. This psu had no white (-5v) wire but the old one did. I plugged the psu in and the instant I turned the switch on (psu switch) the fans turned on and the hard drive spinned up. The power button will turn the board off if held down. There was nothing on the screen. I tried it with a psu that had a white wire but same thing. At that time I opened up the fried psu and there was some burning on the board. I pulled all of the ram out and tried, it powered on the second i plugged it in and there were no beep codes. I have tested all of the ram in a different pc and it tested fine. The graphics card is a pci one not accelerated graphics. I tried an accelerated graphics card in it but same thing. The old graphics card did nothing in a newer computer and gave error messages in an older one. The processor warms up when power is applied so I don't know what is wrong. I tested the power button and it wasn't stuck.

I have taken a few caps off of the board and tested them with a capacitor tester but they tested fine. None of them look bulged or anything.

The board number is P2L97 REV. 105 if that helps.

I would really like to see what is wrong with this thing and if it is fixable.

Thanks and please tell me if you need more information.

canadaboy25

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Is there a battery on the board? A run down battery can cause erratic behavior.

I think it's worth considering that, even if you get this working, it's value is maybe -$10. That's negative, meaning you might have to pay to have it hauled off to recycling. Conversely, someone might give you, or pay you to remove, a similar old PC that's working perfectly. It's your time to "waste". I'm just sayin'

canadaboy25

Joined Jul 21, 2013
Is there a battery on the board? A run down battery can cause erratic behavior.

I think it's worth considering that, even if you get this working, it's value is maybe -$10. That's negative, meaning you might have to pay to have it hauled off to recycling. Conversely, someone might give you, or pay you to remove, a similar old PC that's working perfectly. It's your time to "waste". I'm just sayin'

The battery is fine just tested it.

I am aware that is is not worth the the cost to fix but it was my first pc and I just wanted to fix it. I realize that I could go get a new one.

canadaboy25

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You have kiloparts running at gigahertz. This is the kind of problem that makes my head want to explode. Try what you know. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Ummm......... What is that supposed to tell me?
It's supposed to tell you that trying to find the right part out of thousands can be a difficult job.
If you don't see it that way, just replace the right part and watch this space for my apology.:p

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
You can get a Dell Latitude laptop with Pentium III for $50 on ebay, works without battery.

Just to mention this before you invest $$$ and time in Pentium II repair.

canadaboy25

Joined Jul 21, 2013
You can get a Dell Latitude laptop with Pentium III for $50 on ebay, works without battery.

Just to mention this before you invest $$$ and time in Pentium II repair.
I am deeply aware of that. This is not my main pc, I have a much higher end one. This one has some sentimental value because it was my first pc.

canadaboy25

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Back in the day there were folks that did motherboard repair, just as there are now. You might be able to find a specialized forum or at least a few posts on the experience of others. If you're lucky there might be a high level of detail on how to check the various supply voltages and so forth.

Without that, your options are sorely limited.