broken legs of good capacitor 330uf 250v,fix?

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
long story short, when i was trying to fix resistor in R23,the pads came off both sides.. so i got frustrated and was carried away ,was trying to bypass some ,i saw smoke coming but coundnt say from where.. so then i came to knwo 4148 zener wasnt working (one of the pair-blackish area) ,then i bought a new one and fixed it ,now i have put resistor from one end where i get 16v and joined other end to jumper which goes to primary side i guess

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
i would like to want to know what components would i have to check ,so i would buy them all in one go ..nearby shops dont have anything here..have to go a 2 hour distance for the spare parts :(

could you please tell is there a connection between R23,R32 and jumper?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I hope that you were not working on the supply with it powered, that is the best way to destroy equipment, and also there is a danger of shocks.
AND a switch mode supply that has been subjected to sharp impacts, such as would break a capacitor, is likely to have many broken connections. So you might possibly be able to remove a few good parts from the dead switching supply, but never get it to work.
The fact is that a consumer grade switching supply such as yours is a highly stressed quite complex system and is probably the most difficult to service electronic device around. I mean that it is very unlikely that it can ever be repaired by anybody.
It is far smarter to get a used transformer-rectifier supply to run fans, since the fans do not require stable regulated low noise power. AND a transformer type supply,is much simpler to service, if it ever needs service.

Last edited:

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
PS_ON is a matter of shorting the green wire pin to any black common. Do that and see if it starts.

Ron
nope ,was trying to pick up and dropped it twice while adjusting the position so it doesnt damage resistor i fixed at the back circuit,,now it wont even get to 5vsb lol..

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
i have already replaced this in my pc, i was just trying to make it work for my case fans ,so is there any DIY stuff i can take some parts from it and make give voltages required to run case fans alone? thanks for support

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
It's already been suggested, a 12 volt transformer, bridge rectifier and your fan. Nothing could be easier. Except maybe getting one of those power bricks that run a satellite receiver or router or modem that can push 2 amps or better. Even 1 amp will probably do for a computer fan. If you're just running 12 volt computer fans they aren't going to draw much power at all. What you're doing is like doing a complete overhaul on your car's engine just so you could drive to your next door neighbors house who's less than 100 feet away. But then again I understand the desire to take on a challenge and overcome it.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
First I would remove that resistor and clean up the soldering in that area. Then determine two points to re-attach that resistor and put some insulation between it and the board. with that size leads, you probably were shorting things out.

Remove that resistor, clean up the soldering in that area. Take and post a new picture.

on edit ... I suspect the destroyed pad looks something like the yellow in this picture. If that is the case, the resistor is not connected properly.

bottom-ps.png

Last edited:

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
First I would remove that resistor and clean up the soldering in that area. Then determine two points to re-attach that resistor and put some insulation between it and the board. with that size leads, you probably were shorting things out.

Remove that resistor, clean up the soldering in that area. Take and post a new picture.

on edit ... I suspect the destroyed pad looks something like the yellow in this picture. If that is the case, the resistor is not connected properly.

View attachment 201405
thanks for replying,i saw underneath,its not touching anything,ther was no shorting, it worked before,but i did the mistake of removing it again removing the pads in process, on cold test i did the continuity test,its ok from R32 to till R23 both ends to till the jumper ,in hot test i get 16v at one end but 0.6 something at other end of resistor and jumper .. actually i scrapped the line coming to R23 so the copper can be seen and i tried to attach to it,but was too difficult,so i attached one leg to 4148 diode ,other end to the jumper .. and why would the 16 v doesnt come at other end of resistor? something about voltage drop..or is it 4148 diode , one is in4148 ,one ph4148, one of 4148 was not giving any reading..so i replaced it with ph4148.... hope it would add something to diagnosis..thanks sorry for long post... :)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Look at this picture ...

QUESTIONS.png

A-B are those two pads supposed to be connected? They appear to be connected by that resistor lead marked D.

In the circle marked C, there is plenty of solder splatter that needs to be removed.

In the unmarked circle, where was that foil connected. It appears not to be connected to anything other than the lead of the component on the other side of the board.

Other than what I showed, without a schematic, further troubleshooting would be time consuming.

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
could you please compare with before pic ,and yes i am confused where that foil is connected ,may be you will get better idea when you look at old pic, A-B was not connected before ,it lines from B to C ,at which there was a pad which got removed ,so i youtubed and got to know that,it can be jumped to the previous point from where that starts..so i thought to join D- A ,i kindly request you to please see the old pic in which the pads were still there and may be you can tell me what to really attach to each other
i tried to get the scematic for mercury 400w powersupply,but got nothing in searches..

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
In my first pic, I traced what I thought would be the foil and placed a SMD resistor between them. I see there was an error on that.

Now, that one may not be correct which is why I wanted you to remove the resistor and clean that area up.123---.jpg

Where the note is pointing, on your "repaired" board, I don't know if that solder bridge is shorted or not. Also that foil runs under the resistor you installed and ends up on the main foil on the right of the circuit. Who knows how that may affect the circuit. Another splatter that looks to be a problem is the one under the resistor lead. Dress your work neatly.

All that solder splatter needs to be cleaned up. You should replace the resistor with one of comparable power rating as the SMD.

In the previous diagram (A-B) A should be ground. You mentioned you had 16V on one side of that resistor and 0V on the other. A solder bridge at the point of the Note arrow certainly would cause those reading.

What equipment is this from?

Last edited:

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
In my first pic, I traced what I thought would be the foil and placed a SMD resistor between them. I see there was an error on that.

the reading 16v i took from multimeter 20v.. by keeping the black probe in balck wire and red here at one resistor end and i got a help from a person in another forum that the smd would be 1.5k 0.5w ,so i can replace it with the through hole resistor ,i did it and it worked ! ,my mistake was to trying it to be better and it ripped of whole sheet ,, my solder tip was bigger.. so hmm it means i should connect the jumper -foil - resistor all together at that end? hmm also its mercury power supply 400watts ,i replaced it ,but would like to tweak this and make it work for my case fans for this summer :p

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) You have not mentioned the damage you did to the wall. It is probably more productive to repair that.
2) Get a baseball (or cricket) bat and beat the power supply to smithereens.
3) Get another non-working PS and start from scratch.
4) Keep the old one for hurling practice.