Broadcasting Television

zac

Joined Dec 15, 2008
Would it be possible to use the RF Out on an old vcr, connect it to a rf amplifier, plug it into an antenna, connect my video card to the AV ports on the vcr, and broadcast a television signal?

I know that to do a larger broadcast I would need a larger aerial, like a tower or something. But, would it be possible to do this?

Thanks, Zac.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You would need to modulate the signal before it came out the RF connector on your VCR. But there is the minor matter of broadcasting or doing any signaling on a reserved frequency.The FCC responds with huge fines and/or jail time.

It's possible, but not advisable.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you are talking the USA there is the 10mw rule (as in no more than). I have several store bought UHF transmitters, which is what you're talking about. This same 10mw rule also states you are not to have an antenna more than 10 ft in length (and that includes coax by my interpretation).

It is possible to use a modulator and broadcast it. However, low frequencies such as channel 3 need better antennas, which runs into the 10 ft rule. Also, there are channels that cable uses that are completely taboo if broadcast, as they interfer with aircraft or military frequencies, which bring up what beenthere was talking about.

I usually aimed for channel 25 on UHF on the small transmitter I have, since it is adjustable.

This is a biggie, don't interfer with another station. This is what will get you into trouble faster than anything, as people WILL complain if you block their soaps.

The 10mw is so hobbiests can experiment, and there is also the probability more than one project has radiated without any intention of doing so.

zac

Joined Dec 15, 2008
Thanks guys, well it seems like something I'd have to be careful with to make sure I get everything right and not interfere with any other signals, so I guess I'll leave it.

ad8bc

Joined Oct 30, 2008
You might be interested in playing with "Amateur Television", a sub-hobby of Amateur (Ham) Radio.

Licensed radio amateurs are permitted to send video on some frequency bands. Most enthusiasts use old surplus Cable TV exciters -- popular channels are Cable 57-60, try hooking up your cable-ready TV to an outside antenna and tune to those channels, you may pick up some local ham radio tv signals. These cable channels use frequencies that ham radio operators are allowed to transmit on, for pretty long distances and at much higher power than the non-licensed "10 milliwatt rule"

Check out this website: http://www.hamtv.com/