Bridge Rectifier

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
Hi, I have a question about the use of a bridge rectifier. We have a vacuum that runs off of 120vac/60hHz power supply. The motor inside the vacuum is the motor seen here...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AMETEK-LAMB-ACDC-Vacuum-Motor-2M195

Also incorporated into the circuit(internal to vacuum) is a bridge rectifier. The one used can be seen here...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AMETEK-LAMB-ACDC-Vacuum-Motor-2M195

My question is what purpose does this rectifier serve? The motor is rated at 120vac/50-60Hz which it seems to me would be available from the power supply when it gets plugged in. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
@Kermit2: The vacuum is only one speed and the only other component in the circuit, other than the things already mentioned, is an on/off switch.

@marshallf3: If the bridge rectifier in this vacuum became defective, could I completely bypass it and run the motor off the 120vac/60Hz outlet?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
From the motor description: "AC/DC Vacuum Motor, ...", which implies to me that the motor itself is a DC motor (hence the internal bridge rectifier). Thus, I wouldn't recommend bypassing the bridge rectifier. At best, I suspect the motor will sit there and buzzzzz.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I donno.. could be a universal motor, but it's hard to say without seeing the wiring for the field and armature

jatinah

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I recently repaired a vacuum which had a similar design scheme. There was a bridge rectifier in some shrink-tubing, which led down to the agitator brush at the base of the vacuum. The motor link shows a DC motor, with a "Brush Set". Most all AC motors won't use brushes, usually only dc motors. The Bridge is rated at 12A continous so the motor must be using the rectified DC from the bridge. No, don't bypass the bridge with AC, that would most likely smoke that motor.

Last edited: