Breadboarding fine pitch chips and surface mount chips how?

relicmarks

Joined Oct 13, 2006
How do i breadboard or prototype fine pitch chips? and surface mount chips?

Since they don't fit into the breadboard pins how would you guys do this?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I would do the breadboarding with through hole devices and save the SMT for the printed circuit board.

It is becoming harder to do hobbyist electronics because so many IC's are becoming hard to handle or impossible to breadboard.

relicmarks

Joined Oct 13, 2006
How would i use through hold devices? on the breadboard?

What through hole devices are you talking about please?

I thought "through hole device" was just regular resistors,capacitors that just had solder on the top layer and bottom layer with a through hole conductor hole in the middle

relicmarks

Joined Oct 13, 2006
When trying to do continuity checks with a ohm meter if i place my red or black probes on the FIne pitch ic chips its DAMAGES the pins

Is the best way to wrap a ZERO ohm resistor around the probes on the RED and another zero ohm resistor wraped around the black with tubbing over the zero ohm resistor leads so you can put your fingers on them to not add more resistors or creats a false reading??

Cause when i'm using a oscilloscope probe for testing fine pitch IC pins inputs and outputs the probes lead are way to BIG for the fine pitch leads so would using a zero ohm resistor wrapped around the probe lead is easier to probe around fine pitch pins

How do you guys use the DVM meter and oscilloscope with fine pitch IC pins?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There are a variety of adapter boards made for SMD. Check under prototyping supplies at your favorite vendor. Some come in large sheets, that you can break apart for single devices (see: Jameco, Velleman), others are more specialized (see: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Selection).

In general, you attach your SMD to the board, add pinheaders for the contacts and can then treat the SMD as a standard through-hole device. There are even solderless "sockets" for SMDs, but they are a bit more expensive than the route I just described.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How do you guys use the DVM meter and oscilloscope with fine pitch IC pins?
I use somehting like this (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=501-1179-ND), but I didn't pay anywhere near $10 each. They were probably about $2 to $3 each. That listing in Digikey must be an error, or Ponoma doesn't intend to stay in business. What I like about them is that they are tiny, and they grab from both sides so they don't slip off like the single-hooked ones seem to do. John

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Holy cow! Will you please STOP replying to your threads with lists??? It's so annoying!

Looking stuff up is fine, but save it for a summary or something. :rolleyes:

relicmarks

Joined Oct 13, 2006
sorry i didn't know they made SMD test probes , these are the only ones i found do you guys know any more or what do you guys use

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Test clips for ICs have been made since ICs have been around.
I have some that are probably older than you are. ;)

Look, you really can't continue posting in the manner that you have been; simply posting more questions and lists on top of questions.

We're here to help, but within reason. You're not being reasonable; it's like you are a black hole to suck information in with no acknowledgement or discourse back.

There is very little interaction on your threads.

This is just not acceptable.

Change your ways, or find someplace else to hang out.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Sgt,

The best way to lower your blood pressure is to stop responding to those posters that raise it.

After a 12 years of postings, that works the best.

It works for this ol' CPO.