Boosting very low voltages for battery charging.

Dodgy Geezer

Joined Nov 30, 2009
You do know there is waste stockpiles worldwide, right?
And you do know that the actual size of these is miniscule? Storage or reprocessing of waste is not an issue for anyone. Certainly not compared to the many other highly polluting industries which continue to grow around the world.

This is classic 'whataboutery'. Nuclear waste sites are well established, are in no danger of 'filling up', and are run perfectly adequately. I cannot see that simply stating that they exist is an argument against nuclear power. Especially since more modern system produce far less waste....

Dodgy Geezer

Joined Nov 30, 2009
Inhabiting an alternate reality might explain some things.
It is true that I do not necessarily believe things which are commonly believed by people who have not taken the trouble to research them. Reality for humans seems to depend greatly on what their acquaintances believe, and what is published in the media. Neither of these are infallible sources.

Since I seem to be recommending a few books today, perhaps you would like to consider Charlie Mackay's excellent book 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds'. Essential reading for finance traders, and worth having on your bookshelf for the title alone, though since it was published in 1841 (first edition) and is out of copyright, you can easily find it on Gutenberg. Extraordinary Popular Delusions

I would still like to get an opinion on the electromagnetic impact of removing 90% of the secondary windings of an audio transformer, but I shall retire for the night now and hope to see you in the morning...

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It is fantastically profitable to produce replacement Fuel-Rods for Nuclear-Power-Plants.

That is the sole reason for the purposeful burying of the technology of Thorium-Reactors.

Thorium-Reactors can utilize the partially used hazardous-waste from
current technology Nuclear-Plants and render it 100% harmless,
while at the same time, increasing the efficiency of the Thorium Reaction process.

Thorium was proven to be a totally viable energy source many decades ago,
and it produces zero hazardous waste.
And, it doesn't require a dangerous, and scarce, Fuel-Source.

There are, unfortunately, quite a few people in this World,
who have NO Conscience whatsoever, and think of no one but themselves.

If YOU were making Billions of Dollars a year supplying a product
that YOU keep in ever increasingly higher-demand,
would YOU allow another technology to come along and
completely put you out of business ????

With that much Money,
how many Fake "Research-Papers" could you have written to protect your interests ?

old_beggar

Joined Jan 29, 2021
Has the topic morphed somewhat?
Let's agree to differ on the benefits or otherwise of various forms of electricity generation.
Back on topic:
You could also use Germanium diodes to make your bridge rectifier.
Also, I reckon you could make your own motor/generator that would perform better than the one suggested. I often "find" old d.c. motors at the dump, er, I mean "recycling centre".

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Getting back to the actual topic, if we use the generator only to keep a battery topped off, we should be able to use MOSFETs in an active rectification circuit to eliminate the diode drop. Power for the logic would come from the battery.

Bob

splud

Joined Jun 30, 2013
You're not dealing with significant current here - you should be able to easily hand-wind a small toroid. A handful of windings would be sufficient to bring the RMS voltage up enough that a schottky rectifier wouldn't devastate your Vin. From there into a harvester IC or simple boost configuration would be sufficient.

I'd have suggested a schottky based charge pump, but even with the AC Vin being a free clock, seems like you'd want to make for sharper clocking, and you'd need higher voltages for say a Schmitt inverter. But I've not investigated this - there's probably a part variant avalble that would work for you.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
You're not dealing with significant current here - you should be able to easily hand-wind a small toroid. A handful of windings would be sufficient to bring the RMS voltage up enough that a schottky rectifier wouldn't devastate your Vin. From there into a harvester IC or simple boost configuration would be sufficient.

I'd have suggested a schottky based charge pump, but even with the AC Vin being a free clock, seems like you'd want to make for sharper clocking, and you'd need higher voltages for say a Schmitt inverter. But I've not investigated this - there's probably a part variant avalble that would work for you.
The signal coming from the generator sinusoidal 50Hz so a few turns on ferrite toroid would not work. You will need quite a few turns on a silicon steel laminated core. Don't use active circuitry powered by the battery in the 3 phase rectifier or you will use more power than is being generated

mikewax

Joined Apr 11, 2016
If YOU were making Billions of Dollars a year supplying a product that YOU keep in ever increasingly higher-demand, would YOU allow another technology to come along and completely put you out of business ????
That's an important point, but i think the bigger problem is politics. The same ones who claim that they wanna save the planet are blocking the one option that will save it. Like trying to fight abortion by banning contraceptives.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
That's an important point, but i think the bigger problem is politics. The same ones who claim that they wanna save the planet are blocking the one option that will save it. Like trying to fight abortion by banning contraceptives.
Welcome to the Matrix,
where "Virtue-Signalling" is more important than Life it's self,
and facts don't matter, it's how I feel about it that counts.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
Directly connecting the battery to the multiplier did not allow the inverter to work properly. In order to make the circuit work, I added a resistor R5. 10 kOhm is the first rating I came up with.

Attachments

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
I have very low voltage simulations some practical others are a curious variety.
None of them are theoretical, many of the components are very specific for their ability to adapt to non conventional.
The circuits can be arranged by oscilloscope output charecteristics, those charecteristics under a microscope have different effects than what low voltage normally encounters. It is not theoretical it is specialized sometimes sub 1 volt for small scale useage.
That is why very specific details are asked for very low voltage. The narrative cannot be something different and law of conservation will apply to the circuit. what circuit ?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
@Dodgy Geezer : Coming back to the original issue, do you know what the output frequency from the motor was at 300rpm?
50Hz three phase sine wave. See post #61. With an output of about 0.5V at 5mA.
You still need to rectify it before you can use a DC/DC inverter. There will not be much left even if you use Schottky diodes and If you rectify using FETs, there will not be enough voltage available to switch the gates. It's much simpler to use transformers to get the voltage up. There will be around 10 to 15% transformer losses but at higher voltages, the drop across the rectifiers will be insignificant. You should end up with most of the generated power going into the battery.

Last edited:

splud

Joined Jun 30, 2013
The signal coming from the generator sinusoidal 50Hz so a few turns on ferrite toroid would not work. You will need quite a few turns on a silicon steel laminated core. Don't use active circuitry powered by the battery in the 3 phase rectifier or you will use more power than is being generated
Sorry, earlier on in the thread, it sounded as if this very small generator was in a toy windmill assembly of sorts. From that, I would expect the frequency to be a function of the rotational speed, but certainly, that might not be much.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
50Hz three phase sine wave. See post #61. With an output of about 0.5V at 5mA.
You still need to rectify it before you can use a DC/DC inverter. There will not be much left even if you use Schottky diodes and If you rectify using FETs, there will not be enough voltage available to switch the gates. It's much simpler to use transformers to get the voltage up. There will be around 10 to 15% transformer losses but at higher voltages, the drop across the rectifiers will be insignificant. You should end up with most of the generated power going into the battery.
@KeithWalker I saw that, but that's your assumption I believe; I couldn't find the TS's statement of that. 50Hz is unlikely at 300rpm. The frequency for a 3-phase alternator is given by f = rpm * poles/120 and typically these motors are 4 pole so f =300*4/120 =10Hz (which makes the ferrite core even less useful).

I've just spun one of the motors, giving 0.7v at 100mA. A bit better than I thought, but still pretty minimal for Power Electronics...
0.7Vrms is ~ 1V peak. I'm guessing this was measured O/C for volts and S/C for current across two phases at 120deg. The peak o/c phase voltage therefore would be 0.7*√2/√3 = 0.57v. Also 0.7v/0.1A gives the resistance of 2phases as approx 10ohm, or 5ohm per phase. This is typical of such motors. At 10Hz the winding reactance is negligible (typically 550uH per phase).

rick.curl

Joined Jul 14, 2020
Let's back up for a minute and reconsider the initial information given. How did you measure the .7 volts out of the motor? I'll bet the peaks are MUCH higher. Can you look at it with a 'scope?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Let's back up for a minute and reconsider the initial information given. How did you measure the .7 volts out of the motor? I'll bet the peaks are MUCH higher. Can you look at it with a 'scope?
I'm guessing the TS did what most of us would do, put a multimeter across two contacts, select AC volts, and spin the motor - giving 0.7v O/C. Then repeat on AC mA and get 100mA as the S/C current = O/C volts/(2 * phase impedance).