Boost regulator recommendations?

MattQ87

Joined Apr 5, 2011
So, I've been using the LT3757 boost regulator without much luck lately. It's not giving me very good performance for what I want it to do. I'm looking for a buck regulator to boost up to ~60 volts from a 12-24volt input. Anyone have a favorite boost regulator they would like to share? Bonus points for a through hole solution along with a surface mount for breadboarding before I build it, but this is optional. I really appreciate it.

MattQ87

Joined Apr 5, 2011
Yeah, the load will vary a lot, in that it will be pulsed, but I was thinking that a high value filter cap (600-1000uF) should be able to supply this. Ripple current won't be to much of a concern, as the output will have pretty stiff regulation. The inductors I'm thinking of using saturate around 1-3A. Does this help?
Edit: The max inductor current will be ~1A, the average current will be about .5A.

Last edited:

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Hi Matt,

I'm going to assume your load can step from 0 to 0.5 Amp maximum. You may need a fixed load resistor for stability when your variable load is not on.

I tried the LT3782A in simulation with LTspice. The test jig circuit they give can be modified for 60V output at 1A. Seems like it can do the job with some design effort on your part.

Shouldn't need more than the 100uF on the output. The output cap is a critical value with respect to the parts control loop, so if you have to add arbitary amounts of capacitance then you should isolate that extra capacitance with a inductor. i.e. an LC filter.

Here is the link http://www.linear.com/product/LT3782A

Do you use LTspice?

Regards,
Ifixit

MattQ87

Joined Apr 5, 2011
Interesting. I've been using LTSpice to model my circuit, and it has been working perfectly in simulation, just not in practice. I've been having trouble driving the gate of the MOSFET, even when I tie INTVcc to the 12 volt input. I'm currently using 1000uF caps to hold the charge, and in simulation, it works perfectly. Very strange. I guess this is a good reason why prototyping is still very important.