Boost Converter Feedback Loop Troubles

bitrex

Joined Dec 13, 2009
Hi all - I'm using one section of an LM324 quad comparator to regulate the output of a boost converter circuit by comparing the output to a reference voltage. The output of the comparator is connected to the "reset" pin on a 555, so when the voltage reaches the correct level the drive pulses are shut down. My problem is that the comparator just doesn't seem to swing high enough to fully turn on the 555 when it's supposed to, and doesn't swing low enough to shut it down. I think part of the problem is that when the circuit I have is used with a 9 volt battery, the supply voltage plunges to 5 volts. The output of the comparator never rises higher than about 2.5 volts, and never falls lower than about 0.8 volts.

Would using a switching transistor connected between the comparator output and the reset pin of the 555 help matters? The circuit seems to work properly when the reset pin is shorted to the supply or ground, so apparently that pin needs to really be pulled up or down hard. Or maybe there's something else happening? I thought I'd ask before I go desoldering things. :D

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You know that an LM324 is a quad operational amplifier, not a comparator, right?

And that it's outputs are not rail to rail? You'll be lucky if it can get within a couple of volts of the positive rail.

Instead of turning the timer on and off, have a look at using one 555 timer as an astable multivibrator to trigger a monostable 555 timer. Use pin 5 of the astable multivibrator to control its' frequency.

A 9v "transistor" battery is a poor choice for a boost circuit. It won't last long at all.

bitrex

Joined Dec 13, 2009
I didn't realize the 324 had limited output swing until after I soldered up a prototype circuit. :( Beyond just that problem, I must have made an error when soldering it up because the circuit isn't boosting correctly and was acting erratically even with the 324 removed from its socket. So I'm going to scrap the board and try again. I guess that's what I get for trying to build a prototype before I'm positive the circuit works on solderless breadboard. This time I'll try using a proper comparator IC like the 393.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Why don't you post your circuit design before you build it so that we can help you to evaluate it?

I suggest that you take a look at this page:
http://www.dos4ever.com/flyback/flyback.html
Ronald Dekker did a great job on his site. This is a very helpful resource for switching supply n00bs.

Keep in mind that there are high voltages involved in those projects. If you use capacitors to stabilize the high voltage portion, only use small caps so that only a small amount of energy is stored.