Boost 12vdc to 36vdc

anotheruser1

Joined Dec 6, 2011
I have a power inverter that requires 36 vdc my battery bank and other inverters are 12 volts. It is not feasible to rewire the batteries so I need to build a high current booster. An output of 25 amps at 36 volts is needed and I have never attempted a booster circuit so any plans or drawings would be greatly appreciated.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
36V at 25A is 900W. If you make a voltage booster to convert 12V to 36V then it wastes about 15% of the power which is 135W. Then the 12V source must provide 1035W. Then the 12V current in the booster is (1035W/12V)= 86.25A.
That is a welder, isn't it? The wires are as thick as your fingers?
Why bother making a new inverter to feed the 36V inverter?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I have a power inverter that requires 36 vdc my battery bank and other inverters are 12 volts. It is not feasible to rewire the batteries so I need to build a high current booster. An output of 25 amps at 36 volts is needed and I have never attempted a booster circuit so any plans or drawings would be greatly appreciated.
Believe me, you really need to just stack the 12V batteries 3-up in series to get 36V and make life easier.

A 1kW inverter from 12V is no piece of cake even for a power design company..... we spent months on that weasel.:mad:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I made a 60V step down converter. I never loaded it with 12 Amps, but that's what the coils can carry. I use 2 in parallel. And one large PNP.
The startup current can even be higher than that.

And I drive it using an Arc welding transformer.

For 1 kW, you normally use a transformer, not a simple coil.

The design was based on TL494, and one large VGA cooler.
With some efforts, I archieved about 75% efficiency (I could not measure this properly, however).

If you use a transformer, you can get more efficiency.

For 1kW, you really need a lab setup. And I recommend at first to build some smaller converters.