books for the beginner

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Okay, i have been reading a book called basic electricity i bought from borders. I am almost done with it, though tonight for some reason i feel as if i do not remember anything. I feel as if i had somehow lost everything i have read.

Today i went to borders to look for another book to go from this one. I found another one called basic electricity and electronics.
I am wondering would this be good practice?

Can someone recommend a good book for begginers?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You may want to take a look at the material in the AAC ebook at www.allaboutcircuits.com. There is even a workbook that goes along with the text. Keep in mind that it is a work in progress and there are a few sections that are yet to be completed.

hgmjr

ron_o

Joined Mar 1, 2009
I suggest reading a book that you can refer to offline, unless money is an issue. Mike Holt has one on electricity basics. He's quite notable in the electric field. I suggest going with him for starters.

subtech

Joined Nov 21, 2006
If you can have only 1 book, I would recommend Delmars Standard Textbook of electricity by S. Herman.
It is used widely in electrician and lineman training programs and can be had used from Amazon and such places for 30 USD or so. It is written in plain language, has excellent graphs and pictures, and does not get neck deep in high level math.
It covers everything from the atom to large DC and AC generators and motors.
It is excellent for all electrical people, from the beginner to the most experienced.

FastEddie

Joined Jul 14, 2007
I also like Delmars Standard Textbook of Electricity. I have the 2nd edition. It was the first book that I had to buy when I started taking classes at community college. I knew very little about electricity at that time, but the book gave me the basics to build on. Sometimes I've found some really good deals on other books at local thrift stores, so you might want to check that out.