BJT transistor

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
I'm now about to start the analysis of the BJT transistors.

I don't understand yet how they work. I'm reading some info about it as we speak!

We will be analysing 2N2222!

If you have any tutorial I can read, please post it!

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Ok, i need to know how to simulate the attached circuit...

My teacher is asking to:

Google Translator said:
Get the curves of output IC (VCE) transistor 2N2222 using the full model transistor. Make IB range from 0 to 150μA with steps of 30μA and vary VCE from 0 to 20 V in increments of 0.1 V.

Attachments

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Ahhh... I got it now...

They want a current power source to inject current thru the BJT base point... Ok. Let me do those changes in my previous circuit!

PS: Just help me on this:

Where do i have to place the probes to check the voltage drop between C and E?
And can i make 2 power sources vary at the same time at the Simulation command?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Where do i have to place the probes to check the voltage drop between C and E?
The Emitter is at 0V so the Vc plot will be from Vc to Ve

And can i make 2 power sources vary at the same time at the Simulation command?
Yes
Please post your latest asc file when you are ready.

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Teacher wants to plot Ic(Vce) and Ib must go up to 150μA in steps of 30μA and Vce must go up to 20V in steps of 0.1V

Am i doing anything wrong?

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can do this by hand, tedious but doable.

Set Ib. Increase Vcc in 10 steps. Measure Icc at each Vcc.

Step up Ib.
Do this for five Ib settings.

Total 5 x 10 = 50 data points.

Plot the curves by hand or any graphing program.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Did your tutor say you must have the 100K and the 220R resistors in your circuit.??

Also why are you using DECades for the two varying parameters.?

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
You can do this by hand, tedious but doable.

Set Ib. Increase Vcc in 10 steps. Measure Icc at each Vcc.

Step up Ib.
Do this for five Ib settings.

Total 5 x 10 = 50 data points.

Plot the curves by hand or any graphing program.
So, how am i supposed to get the characteristic curve (Ic(Vce)) for this 2N2222???

hi,
Did your tutor say you must have the 100K and the 220R resistors in your circuit.??

Also why are you using DECades for the two varying parameters.?
Well, in the thorical part he doesn't asks spoecifically for any resistor but for the same point at the laboratorial work, he gave us a schematic that has both resistors!

And yes, i used DECade sweeps for both power sources! But i have also tried linear!

Last edited:

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
First of all remove all resistors from you circuit. Next change your sweep type from decade to linear one. Also first source need to be V1 voltage then Ib.

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Nice... I got it...

But i need to know why do i have to remove all resistors and why does it has to be linear and not decade, or better, what is the difference between the different type of sweeps, and lastly why does the Vce need to be the first to be sweeped????

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
In this case RB resistor has no influence on the circuit, because you use current source.
Rc resistor have influence on Ic current for low V1 voltage values. Because Ic current cannot be greater than V1/Rc. And we use Vce first because we want Vce on the X axis.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
But i need to know why do i have to remove all resistors and why does it has to be linear and not decade, or better, what is the difference between the different type of sweeps, and lastly why does the Vce need to be the first to be sweeped????
The Decade and Octave sweep generate the defined number of logarithmic points for each decade or octave of the variable parameter. The List sweep uses an arbitrary list for the parameter.

The type of sweep to get the display specified by the teacher is called a Linear sweep (Start point, Stop point, Step Increment).

The Source order determines which parameters are used for the X and Y axes. To display the normal characteristic curves of a transistor in Spice you need Vc first and Ib second.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Psy,
You should have by now realised, no resistors and use linear variable plots , in X, Y format.

Post your asc file when ready, we can look it over.

Dont use a battery for the supply, use Voltage source.
E

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Ok, thanks for explanations!

Here goes my asc file and plot for the first question!

Now, for the next question, i have to calculate Early Voltage!

Attachments

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Ok, thanks for explanations!

Here goes my asc file and plot for the first question!

Now, for the next question, i have to calculate Early Voltage!
That looks good.

Early Voltage is not really complicated. You have five Vbe plots. Take one Vbe plot, take the section that is straight line, figure out the equation of that straight line, now extend the straight line until it intersect the Vce axis. Now do that for the other four plots of Vbe. The point where all the plots intersect Vce axis is the negative Early voltage. So just drop the minus sign and all that is left is the value of the Early voltage.

Here is illustration from my textbook.

Attachments