Birthday Cake with working LEDS - assistance on how to hook it up

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Looking good. I just responded to your PM. You have a local UPS store - I can ship the package there and they'll hold it for you to pick up if that works. I learned this when I placed a phone order for next day delivery to my house but they failed to tell me they would require UPS to get a signature first. Talked to the local UPS store and they said in the future I could ship it to the store and pick up when I get home. Just a thought.

The set up is looking good. Yes, paint is a miracle worker.

I might suggest you put the LED on the opposite (inside) the plastic barrel. In this way the light will only be seen on Barbie. Currently, you'll see the LED and light from the side which may or may not be desired. You can certainly play with it once you have the LEDs.

So are you planning to route the wires through the PVC? If so, should I add a terminal strip and label the wires so you can connect them yourself and better route them? My original plan was to solder everything together, but this makes routing the wires through the PVC difficult unless the holes are big enough to slide the LEDs through comfortably.

Also, I assume you want the switch wired so that it can be mounted some distance away from the board and mounted somewhere you have easy access to it? If so, how long should I make the wires?

According to the tracking info, I should have the LEDs today. I've finished the circuit, just need to add the wiring, LEDs, and test. Assuming all goes well, I can ship out tomorrow. If time allows, I think I'll grab a scrap piece of acrylic and mount the board, a battery clip, and a terminal strip if needed. You'll need a 9V, but other than that, you should be set.

Let me know if you have any additional thoughts or questions.

Edasher06

Joined Mar 4, 2013
Perfect. The local UPS address you PM'd me is perfect. Your probably right about the wiring. It would be easier for me to connect the wires thru the terminal switch after running it they the PVC. And yes... I was thinking about the switch last night. Te measurements I gave you for the wiring was to have the circuit mounted in the middle under the stage. Unless te switch was 6-8" away from the circuit, I wouldn't be able to have it easily accessible. I'm going to say 6-8" or so away from the circuit should be fine. Ill cut a hole in the bottom of the stage somewhere on the side or in the back and glue it in place. I was considering buying some silver shiny paint and painting the inside of te LED casings, just for reflective purposes. We'll see how much time I have.

Can't wait to see it and put it all together!

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I don't know if the paint will help much, the LEDs have a 30 degree viewing angle, so I'm not sure there will be a lot of light to reflect.

However, if you happen to have some aluminum tape (often used for HVAC and found in the duct work section of most hardware stores), you could line the barrels with that. A roll will be close to the cost of a can of good spray paint. It will be easier and less messy to apply and it's a great tape to have handy. The adhesive on the tape sticks to darn near anything.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Whew, I'm tired, but it's finished.

Video of working circuit.

Video of lights about one foot away from a dark background in partial light.

Video of lights about one foot away from a dark background in dark.

The last two were taken to give you a feel for how the lights will look on stage.

I'll go to the post office this morning and ship it as inexpensively as I can while guaranteeing Saturday delivery (possibly tomorrow if that is reasonably priced).

The LED wires are color-coded with heat shrink and/or labeled. Red goes to +V, black to GND, and yellow are numbered. Getting all the red connections in is a bit tricky but possible. I'm going to leave everything connected so you can see how it all goes together. All you'll need is a 9V battery and a small flathead screwdriver.

I didn't have time to add hot glue for strain relief - if you have a chance I suggest putting a dab on the battery and switch wires on the board.

I'll send you tracking info once shipped.

Edasher06

Joined Mar 4, 2013
It looks great! And I really appreciate all your effort in this crazy time frame we had! I definately couldnt have done it without you!

I'm going to take a little break after this party and not touch another circuitboard for awhile. Lol. Getting everything done in time has been stressful on me, so I know it's been stressful for you.

In a few weeks ill hop on ebay or amazon and start building up slowly on supplies of my own, strictly for learning/tinkering purposes.. With NO TIMEFRAME!!! LOL. By next birthday I'll be a pro. Shoot a couple beginner project my way if you can think of any.

It's still going to take alot to get everything done by Sat pm, but I'll make it. Ill post pictures and video as soon as I get it. Also, PM me the final amt including shipping and your email address and ill PayPal it to you ASAP. Thanks again for everyhing!

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Revised schematic and BOM.

I think many here would love to see a short video of the entire set up once complete, myself included. :D

Shoot a couple beginner project my way if you can think of any.
Timers or clock circuits are a good start. I suggest reading up on the 555 (used twice in your circuit) here. Build a monostable (timer) and an astable (clock generator). These can be used in lots of other circuits or by themselves.

The counter IC used in your circuit has been used to make what is known as a Larson scanner. You and I know it as the scrolling light used in Knight Rider. Of course, we're using it to create a similar effect.

Let us know if there is anything you're interested in doing and we can make more recommendations. Also feel free to study the schematic when time allows and ask questions.

Attachments

Edasher06

Joined Mar 4, 2013
Ok. Thanks for the advise. And yes, I'll be posting a video of it as SOON as I get it done. Hopefully, it will all get done by Sat and I can have a nice leisurely Sunday morning before the party, and not a hectic one. We'll see... :D

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
One word: AWESOME!!! Thank you for posting a video. It is always great to see something in action you helped with.

The stage looks very well done. I thought it looked cool at the beginning, but when the lights were turned off, wow!

So, what did the birthday girl think? Was it a success?

Next step, rainbow display. Following step, animatronic Barbie. :eek:

Edasher06

Joined Mar 4, 2013
Lol. Barbie animatronics... wow. I might be passing on that one... That sounds a little intimidating! Party went great. bday girl and all the kids loved the cake. i wish i could have gotten video at the party. There was so much background noise it was impossible. cake was just a flat 9x13 rectangle that fit perfectly on the stage. barbie stood on top of it.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
WoW! You guys did a great job. Loved the video and hoped your daughter loves you all the more for it, Edasher06. And don't forget the Kudos to elec_mech!