binary

raks_universe

Joined Mar 15, 2009
Binary numbers are only two digits but how all the informations like videos,photos,text are stored in that form,and even different alphabets are stored in the same 0's and 1's.

how it is possible?????????????

i am so confused.........

...using more 0 and 1 together.

two bits bring more information (four combinations)

...three bit even more and so on.

0000 = 0
0001 = 1
0010 = 2
0011 = 3
0100 = 4

and so on...

so grouping more bits you can send more info...
If you create a protocol (rules for grouping) you can transmit info such as video, audio and whatever you want.

Ciao,

Mauro

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Don't panic, raks! It's easy once you figure it out!
In the "normal" world, we use 10 symbols (0-9) for digits. How do we count anything greater than nine? We use "places" 0-9 are in the "one's place", 10, 20, 30, ..., 90 are in the ten's place. So, 83 = 8 tens + 3 ones.

If we have '9' and add '2' to it, we get eleven. To show eleven in symbols, we subtract ten from eleven, giving us 1, which we put in the "ones place." We subtracted ten only once, so we put 1 in the "tens place." We've learned this so long ago that it comes automatically to us. ( 9+1=10)

The computer only deals with ones and zeroes. So if we have '1' and add '1' to it, we get two. To show two in symbols, we subtract two from two, giving us 0, which we put in the "ones place." We subtracted two only once, so we put 1 in the "twos place." (1+1=10)

--Rich
Yes, this is a simplification; my idea is to help raks, not to overwhelm him (her?) with details.

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
raks_universe,

Binary numbers are only two digits but how all the informations like videos,photos,text are stored in that form,and even different alphabets are stored in the same 0's and 1's.
Binary numbers are not just two digits. They can contain many binary digits which can represent any number you can name.

...but how all the informations like videos,photos,text are stored in that form,and even different alphabets are stored in the same 0's and 1's.
How are millions of words in different languages made from the same 26+ letters decended from the Roman alphabet. How is all the literature and technical writings composed mostly from a few thousand words.

A format is defined and the information is filled in.

am so confused.........
Why? You write and speak the King's English, don't you. How do you do it?

Ratch

John5788

Joined Apr 2, 2009

i am so confused.........

heh, take a class on digital logic design and it might make more sense to you.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I know what you mean man!!! I used to think like you also just a year or so ago. I took digital logic and it helped, its really quite easy.

The other posts here have explained how you can express alphabets and numbers with binary, the part which really amazes you is how the heck do you store a song in 101001011001110101010. Am I right? ;) It still amazes me.

What you have to realize is that we use digital signals to process information faster. Digital is an intermediary step. It goes something like this.

The song is a continuous sine wave. You stick it into an analog to digital converter and it becomes digital. Then you modify the song, send it to your friend online and whatever in the form of 10010101. Then before you hear it, the song is turned back into a sine wave by a digital to analog converter.

How the heck do you turn a sine wave into 100010101100? The beauty of the fourier series, and other methods. It has to do with breaking the sine wave into averages between 5 volts and 0 volts where 1= 5 volts and 0 = 0 volts.

Its still amazing and definitely not easy to understand, but its possible. ;)