binary to decimal

kipras87

Joined Oct 18, 2010
Hey guys, I want to convert an 8 bit binary to binary-coded decimal (BCD) and then display that on three 7-segment LED. Can anyone give me an idea on how to convert that I would appreciate a lot. Also, I know there is a way to do it with shifters and adders, but I guess there is an easier way to do this without micro or 74185 (since they are not selling it anymore). Thanks in advance.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Are there any other limitations? That is, can you use any chip or any number of chips so long as you don't do the programming? Can you use FPGA? Or, do you want something done with just logic gates and counters? (Again, can you use any logic gate or counter that is available?)

Is this a homework assignment (e.g., you only need to make it on paper) or is it for a real product?

John

kipras87

Joined Oct 18, 2010
I want to make this by using any logic gates, counters, adders, or shifters with a low cost. Any chip I can use as long as I don't program it and not an FPGA. Schematic would be nice or just an idea what I should use. Thanks again.

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
I want to make this by using any logic gates, counters, adders, or shifters with a low cost. Any chip I can use as long as I don't program it and not an FPGA. Schematic would be nice or just an idea what I should use. Thanks again.
Are you sure you don't want to try a custom solution?

Regards...

Attachments

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
To the OP, Look around for a 74185. They are still available. Check out surplus stores.

To all the others, he could also use a cray super computer. :D

kipras87

Joined Oct 18, 2010
Is it possible without coding, like shifting the 8 bits and adding three if the bcd is higher than 5 or is this only for programming? Because I can shift and add using adders but I can't figure it out how to construct a circuit using if greater or equal than 5.

Last edited: