Binary Adders with 3+ inputs

budhunter

Joined Feb 29, 2012
I want to design a binary adder that adds three numbers (# bits arbitrary, but let's use 3 bits for example). And I have noticed there are relatively convenient ways to do this with carry-save adders where you use the Cin input as the third number input and then you finish the addition with a normal ripple adder. Key point here being that it is significantly faster then designing dual ripple adders.

But these carry-save architectures (also called Wallace Trees) always seem to have N+1 output bits (where N = input bits), and this does not seem like enough for full resolution so I am confused by this.

For example, adding three 3-bit numbers requires 5 output bits for full resolution, but the relatively "standard" architecture I refer to above would only result in 4 output bits.

Am I missing something here, or is this an obvious limitation to the carry-save architecture? Is there a better option?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You are missing something. A three bit unsigned number can represent 8 different values. The maximum 3 bit unsigned value is 7. Now 7 + 7 + 7 = 21. To figure out how many bits are required you take the ceiling of log to the base 2 of 21.
Rich (BB code):
log_2(21) = log_10(21) / log_10(2) = (1.3222 / .301) = 4.39
Ceiling(4.39) = 5
So it takes 5 bits to represent 22 values in the range [0..21]
Is that clear?

budhunter

Joined Feb 29, 2012
Papa -

Thanks for the response but I think you misunderstood my questions. In your code example I understand and agree with you that 5 output bits are required for full resolution for three 3bit numbers.

The problem is that for the circuit architectures I have seen called carry save adders or wallace trees will usually only have N+1 output bits, so four in the above case.

See the example in this pdf for four 4bit numbers:

http://www.ele.uri.edu/Courses/ele444/class/csave_add.pdf

The outputs are labeled S0:S4 which is not enough resolution for four 4bit numbers.

However, after viewing this pdf I am wondering if the last Co output of the ripple adder would be the 6th output bit S5?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are five outputs in the range S0:S4, not four. The example adds three four bit numbers. So by the previous example you need:
Rich (BB code):
15 + 15 + 15 = 45
log_2(45) = log_10(45) / log_10(2) = 5.49
Ceiling(5.49) = 6
So representing the set of outputs in the range [0,..,45] will require 6 bits which the diagram shows as five outputs labeled S0:S4 plus the Carry Out which can be considered as the sixth output bit.

Last edited: