Bin A whail

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
I have a DC 5000 volt .0001 amp generator. I made it to generate ions. I would like to change the use of it now. I recently made a variable width and duty cycle timer. I'd like to pulse the high voltage current. I thought of using a mosfet but am not sure as the voltage is way beyond the voltage of the mosfet. Got any ideas?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have a DC 5000 volt .0001 amp generator. I made it to generate ions. I would like to change the use of it now. I recently made a variable width and duty cycle timer. I'd like to pulse the high voltage current. I thought of using a mosfet but am not sure as the voltage is way beyond the voltage of the mosfet. Got any ideas?
Switching high voltages is most often done mechanically, as components designed for such applications are rare and expensive. I really wouldn't recommend messing with the output of a 5kv generator, there is a high likelihood that you'll damage something.

Why exactly are you doing this?

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
Darn I had a feeling that the voltage was to high. How bout doing the switching down line? Like before the transformer. The problem with that is it's ac before it gets rectified.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Before I get in to trouble with the Welsh, it would have actually been 'mae wedi bod yn tra'
Not that I want to ever want to try and pronounce it. :eek:
Max.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Here I was all excited that someone was going to give me a hand on this.
It's welsh for Bin a whail!!
Relax and stay for a whail!!

I've been here, for I think about 10yrs. I've been here awhail. That's for sure.

Hang in there, you'll get there sometime. 10yrs sheeshh.

I'm American, but my ancestry is considered Welsh, beyond that Danish, further?

Have a beer and settle in, nothing wrong with that, I'll tell ya;)

From across the pond, sorry! Bout that....

kv

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Relax, mines. Just having some fun.

As for your question, you still haven't answered mine. What are you trying to do? For what purpose? We need to know this before we can continue.

Matt

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Lots of serious stuff here, there is always room for a little levity!

You have to learn to thrust and parry a little.
Vague questions are often asked, the true meaning usually requires some further digging in order to offer a meaningful answer.
Max.

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
I'll admit it!! I'm wanting to play with high voltage,, as Jacobs ladders and am wondering if this high voltage generator is a way to start. By the way I also consider myself to be a little bit of a safety guy in that I don't like being bitten. I'm thinking maybe an ignition coil is a more easily regulated route?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'll admit it!! I'm wanting to play with high voltage,, as Jacobs ladders and am wondering if this high voltage generator is a way to start. By the way I also consider myself to be a little bit of a safety guy in that I don't like being bitten. I'm thinking maybe an ignition coil is a more easily regulated route?
I would definitely agree with you on that. Ignition coils and TV flyback (actually, Line Output) transformers are both great ways to get started. Even small neon sign transformers would be reasonably safe and easy to use. If you choose to take the route of Ignition or flyback transformers, there are many schematics out there on google. I highly recommend the PWM ones with protection across the coil. They work the best and have the most control. Check out RMCybernetics.com, they have some good ignition coil driver schematics on their site. Personally I use the 555/393 circuit--the 555 provides the square wave output and the 393 allows you to adjust the duty cycle. It's a very nice setup and I highly recommend it.

Regards,
Matt

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Why would you want to do this for a Jacobs ladder? In a Jacobs ladder, it's the heat and ionization of the air between the electrodes, that controls the rate of climb and frequency of the spark. The one best thing you can dofor your ladder is encase the electrode rods in a tube, to keep the air currents localized.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Why would you want to do this for a Jacobs ladder? In a Jacobs ladder, it's the heat and ionization of the air between the electrodes, that controls the rate of climb and frequency of the spark. The one best thing you can dofor your ladder is encase the electrode rods in a tube, to keep the air currents localized.
I agree with most of this, just wanted to clarify--heat and ionization does not change the frequency of the spark, only the speed that the arc rises. I'm assuming you meant "frequency" as in the time between when the spark forms and when it breaks at the top of the ladder?

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
Thank you VERY much!!!! I have built a PWM with variable freq. and duty cycle. It works just fine. Hooking it up to the coil in a couple of days. Have to dig up a schematic I had for circuit protection and get a couple of components first. Really appreciate you guys and this whole web site.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thank you VERY much!!!! I have built a PWM with variable freq. and duty cycle. It works just fine. Hooking it up to the coil in a couple of days. Have to dig up a schematic I had for circuit protection and get a couple of components first. Really appreciate you guys and this whole web site.
Glad to help, Mines :)

Something to note about the ignition coil and PWM circuit--

You will probably need to run it off a 12v power source that can supply 5A or greater. otherwise you won't get much of an output from the coil. They require a fairly large amount of current to operate properly. SLA batteries are often a good choice.

Matt

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
It cool I have a 3 amp 12 volt power supply . It actually put out about 13.6 volts so I think I have enough... Got any links or suggestions for current protection for the timer circuit?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I agree with most of this, just wanted to clarify--heat and ionization does not change the frequency of the spark, only the speed that the arc rises. I'm assuming you meant "frequency" as in the time between when the spark forms and when it breaks at the top of the ladder?
Your right, it has to do with the frequency of the sparks starting to move. I'm pretty sure that the electrical frequency won't make any difference in a Jacobs ladder.