Bike DC capacitor discharge ignition circuit.

Galumpo77

Joined Jan 19, 2013
Bike CDI topic -----OOPs sorry, haven't used this site before, must have hit some sort of an upload button before adding any explanatory text!

This circuit is to some extent experimental in that it's working well, but is still only on breadboard. I'm eagerly awaiting the 12V to 220V convertor module which is in the post from China to complete it. I think it might be of interest to school and college students who own there first bike, hence the GY6 125cc tag. Construction should be fairly straight forward, but I would recommend access to an oscilloscope for testing it.
Cheers

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
I would be rather concerned about driving the 4N25 LEDs directly with the reluctance pickup. Depending on the pickup properties, some can develop tens of volts at high revs. Have you checked the pickup output?

Galumpo77

Joined Jan 19, 2013
Fair point. Actually I was a bit more concerned about getting enough volts for reliable starting. My replacement Chinese 125cc bike pickup is about 110 Ohm resistance and generates a couple of volts open circuit at low rpm, don't know about high rpm though. I'll add a select on test resistor in series, 330 Ohm to start off with.