Big Problem

supermankid

Joined May 26, 2013
Hi, I used a wrong part (comparator instead of opamp)...Now the board is ready...is there a way I can find replacement for this comparator....with opamp with similar pinnning .....I want to use as a buffer...low bandwidth...so..any opamp could fit in....help me!!!:eek:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi, I used a wrong part (comparator instead of opamp)...Now the board is ready...is there a way I can find replacement for this comparator....with opamp with similar pinnning .....I want to use as a buffer...low bandwidth...so..any opamp could fit in....help me!!!:eek:
Eh..please share what kind of comparator you are using. And also share your schematic

supermankid

Joined May 26, 2013
I was having slight inkling today...felt like I was missing something....and it had to be this....here is the schematic....which would actually make no sense...but the part number is LM319 from Texaspicture.JPG

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Other than open collector outputs, are there any other reasons to change away from the 319? If OC outputs are the only problem, can you add pullup resistors to the board after fab?

ak

supermankid

Joined May 26, 2013
Other than open collector outputs, are there any other reasons to change away from the 319? If OC outputs are the only problem, can you add pullup resistors to the board after fab?

ak
The main reason is...this is a comparator ...I need opamp. I am desperately waiting for some help.

ErnieHorning

Joined Apr 17, 2014
Whichever part you use, you should tie your unused amp inputs to something. Typically ground, since its right next to those pins. If ESD doesn’t nail them, the part will use excessive current as those high impedance pins pick up any noise in the air.

It’s a good design practice to get in the habit of tying all unused inputs to something anyway.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How many boards do you need to assemble?

Here are some options:

1) patch the board
2) make an adapter PCB to fit the current footprint and pin-out
3) redo the board

supermankid

Joined May 26, 2013
I went through 320 opamps of same package from digikey...no luck....
picture.jpg

It is only about 20 PCB.....

I am thinking about some kind of adapter....I will post the picture when I am done...!!...this really suckss.....:(

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I went through 320 opamps of same package from digikey...no luck....
View attachment 68865

It is only about 20 PCB.....

I am thinking about some kind of adapter....I will post the picture when I am done...!!...this really suckss.....:(
How many layers is your board. And what kind component type is the component type in question. Is it SMD or through-hole. Last question can you blame someone else for this mishap:p
Either way I think the board can be salvaged with some strapping, since it is only 20 boards we are talking about.
Edit forgot about this trick. Mount a through-hole opamp upside down and glue it to the board with super glue. Fold the thin part of the component like a gull wing. Then use the strapping technique to correct your your mess

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The pin out of a LM319 is unique. You will not find an op-amp that will drop in. I suggest two options:
1. (Bad option)- try to make the comparator act like an op-amp. The LM319 is really fast. Feed back resistor, pullup resistor, and output cap to ground will be needed. Look at circuits that make comparators into op-amps.
2. (Best) Select an op-amp that works for your application. Get a wire-wrap socket and artfully bend the pins to match your PCB pattern.
Calm down. Everyone who designs PCBs gets to do this every so often.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
But how is that going to look to the customer?

IMHO, bite the bullet and redo the PCBs.
Ahah! I missed his later post saying it was "20 boards".

Still a little adapter (x20) is no big deal, compared to a complete board redesign.

Many people would be surprised how many commercial appliances have tracks cut, wires soldered from point to point, and even little addition PCBs added in with hot melt glue and fly wires. ;)