Bidirectional electronic switch

naizmenic

Joined Apr 27, 2010
As I mentioned earlier, when using two devices on opposite polarities you need two control signals of opposite polarities, as each device needs it's own base or gate supply relative to it's own emitter or source.
That is true ONLY if you need to open both devices (mosfets) at the same time BUT it is NOT necessary for simple switch. For simple switch you have to open only one device and you'll get current flow through opened device! That means if you remove LEDs from your schematic, with high level on control signal one of MOSFETS MUST BE opened. Which one depends on the current polarity on switch terminals. And that is what he wants.

What is the range of voltage of your controlling signal? If you need final and optimal solution I suggest to tell us what you really want. Examples with LEDs are not good. Why?

If your controlling signal can open MOSFET then it probably can provide 20mA which is enough to turn LED on. So connect leds as they are connected on schematic with ne555 and in the middle connect your controlling signal and that's it.

If you need latching such state (active state "stays" while controlling signal has changed) you must use flip-flop.

Last edited:

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Hello

I previously started this thread: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=235735#post235735
I was asking about a way to make a simple touch switch circuit that turns on at first touch and off at second touch.. It uses a single plate. You can see the thread for more details.

After I read the replies and different ideas in that thread I decided to use the circuit that Bill Marsden provided (see below), and replace the momentary push button switch with an electronic switch circuit that I'm asking about in this thread. I thought it's easy and not that difficult...

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
It's probably far simpler to use a CD4013 or similar for the toggle part, that would only need a simple voltage pulse to work.

(It's always easier to solve a problem if you make it clear what you are trying to do at the start.)