Better Internet

nanobyte

Joined May 26, 2004
I recently got internet service through Clear. To my disappointment yesterday I found that they don't provide streaming videos from espn3.com. So I plan on switching to another provider which will be either AT&T or Comcast. Which is the better internet provider AT&T or Comcast?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I had ATT DSL served by old copper lines. It was terrible. Errors rates made connection impossible for long periods. It seemed like every time a squirrel climbed the telephone pole, the link would go down. ATT's response was that it was upgrading its system slowly and my part of Cleveland was not going to be done in the foreseeable future. The ATT service person said that with the signal strength in my area, ATT shouldn't even be offering service.

I switched to cable and it has been pretty good.

My suggestion is to check out the signal strengths in your immediate area. How far are you from the ATT server/router (not sure that is the right term)? In my case, it was about three miles, which was right at the limit for copper wire.

John

I just changed to ATT dsl and have never had a problem. I have only had it about two months but I have yet to reset my modem. Granted, I am pretty close to the location of the office modem where everything turns into fiber, about a mile.

I've used cable modems in the past, Time Warner and Comcast, and never had issues with them either.

For Dsl, definitely find out the maximum speed they will provide to your location. It is restricted by distanc as jpanhalt has stated.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I had AT&T U-verse cable/internet package for the past few years. Internet was good most of the time, but occasionally (once or twice/week) it would drop connection to my laptop every 5 minutes for 2 or 3 hours and during this time my desktop would not connect at all. Also, my cable would get garbled/ choppy; my recorded DVR shows would have 30 sec - 10 minute chunks missing. I switched to comcast last week and the performance seems to be equal, minus the weekly dropouts (fingers crossed). my location is Houston, TX. I assume that AT&T's service quality is not uniform across the country & wherever you location may not experience the same problems.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
For the time being, and foreseeable future, AT&T's network will be iffy at best.

They keep loading it down with just about EVERY iphone out there. The more powerful the Iphone, the more bandwidth it uses.. To keep on top, Iphone now allows users to surf WHILE TALKING, thus using more network resources.

There is gonna be trouble. too many eggs in one basket.