Best way to switch sprinkler solenoids?

jdraughn

Joined Jan 30, 2009
Hello,

I have been wanting to build my own sprinkler timer for a couple of years, and now that I have got wireless modules and a small LCD working really well with my sample code, I want to make a remote interface for a sprinkler timer.

Can anyone recommend what ways would be best for switching on/off the 24 volts AC that runs to each solenoid? Relays or Triacs or what?

Thanks much!

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
That module communicates on both ends with an SPI 4-wire protocal. Do you have microcontrollers on the receive end to interpret this and output logic-level switch signals?

Ken

jdraughn

Joined Jan 30, 2009
That module communicates on both ends with an SPI 4-wire protocal. Do you have microcontrollers on the receive end to interpret this and output logic-level switch signals?

Ken
In my original post I said "and now that I have got wireless modules and a small LCD working really well with my sample code".

I just need to know the best way to switch the solenoids. My current sprinkler timer has what LOOKS like a transistor, varistor and inductor for each station.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
My current sprinkler timer has what LOOKS like a transistor, varistor and inductor for each station.
Can't tell you how to switch the solenoids unless you can tell me what you are intending to drive the transistor...or relay...or SSR with. What is your output from the receivers? Also, do you have any links to the solenoids.

Ken