Best way to orient antenna for strongest signal?

dword32

Joined Nov 18, 2020
I am planning on using the following radial choke antennas to try and trace an energized wire which travels along a wall. I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to orient this part to get the best signal. Any comments are much appreciated!

s-l500.jpg

dword32

Joined Nov 18, 2020
I am planning on using the following radial choke antennas to try and trace an energized wire which travels along a wall. I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to orient this part to get the best signal. Any comments are much appreciated!

View attachment 222561
Since I can't edit my original post, I wanted to clarify, the exact inductor I'm using is the Neosid sd75 (10mH). Here is the datasheet:

http://neosid.de/import-data/product-pdf/neoFestind_Sd75.pdf

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Good picture.
Worse option: There are several types of self shielding types of coils. No good to you.
1605710864183.png
In this picture I drew a heavy red wire and a blue wire. The red wire will introduce a signal into the coil while the blue wire will not.
1605711118637.png

dword32

Joined Nov 18, 2020
Good picture.
Worse option: There are several types of self shielding types of coils. No good to you.
View attachment 222567
In this picture I drew a heavy red wire and a blue wire. The red wire will introduce a signal into the coil while the blue wire will not.
View attachment 222568
Thank you! The red/blue line graphic really helped! I found that when I mounted the inductor vertically, and ran a wire horizontally across it (parallel to the PCB), I got the best results, which matches your graphic. Basically the energized wire should be perpendicular to the core of the coil.