Best way to find short source in a MOBO ?

LETITROLL

Joined Oct 9, 2013
I have recently got a 360 console from a friend , the motherboard was having shorts all over the main mosfets feeding the CPU and GPU particularly between drain and source , and also all the caps around them and around the GPU/CPU as well as a bulged cap , but even after replacing that cap , nothing has changed .

So after reading some stuf on some forums , a lot of guys say that its mostly one or two of the mosfets that has gone bad , witch confirms what i've found , but still am not sure if its them or not .

So what i did is trying to check one by just lifting its legs , and it was not shorted .

So after all that , i just didn't want to mess a lot more with this MOBO , and see if i can just follow a strategy to find the short source .

Thanks for bassing by btw .

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The most common failure of motherboards is shorted caps across the power supply lines.

There can be as many as a dozen caps 1000μF or greater and a single one could be shorting. The only solution is to keep removing the caps one at a time until the short goes away.

LETITROLL

Joined Oct 9, 2013
The most common failure of motherboards is shorted caps across the power supply lines.

There can be as many as a dozen caps 1000μF or greater and a single one could be shorting. The only solution is to keep removing the caps one at a time until the short goes away.
Ok i will try that and see hopefully

LETITROLL

Joined Oct 9, 2013
Hi again

Funny thing is that i discovered that a coil waqs causing those shorts , and that the fets are 'normally' shorted .

Thanks for the comment