Best place to buy project boxes

jwilli

Joined Apr 21, 2009
All the project box suppliers I see are pretty expensive, and there don't seem to be that many.

Who do you recommend to buy economical project boxes from? In particular, it would be nice to find someone who supplies metal boxes as well- sort of like a wall mount alarm box.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, but overseas shipping is a killer! It's always going to be a problem I'm afraid. Flea markets are a good source, IMO.

It is also one of the few things that Radio Shack has economically.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I've gotten quite fond of making my own boxes out of double clad copper PCB material. The old phenolic stuff works great....especially since I have a pile of the stuff. :) A bit more work, but you've got a nice personal touch when it's done.

Eric

Steve C

Joined Nov 29, 2008
I've had problems just finding project boxes that fit in the space I want large enough to fit the materials I'm enclosing.

I invariably end up making my own. Most commonly out of 26 gauge steel. A homemade sheet metal brake really makes the job nearly a pleasure. I just need a way to cut the material better than a jigsaw in my garage (maybe bandsaw?). But the jigsaw works just fine.

There's just enough material in 26 gauge to tap, but if it really needs to hold a screw I can always switch to 16 gauge steel and take more care in the bending. Or cut individual pieces and weld them together. Though the inevitable hardening makes additional work harder.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Don't limit yourself to just "official" project boxes: I've had a transistor-checker sitting in a box made for ICs (~ 2" x 4" x 3/4") for many years. And a small power supply sitting in a cardboard box as well; although I admitted do not stress the P/S so it does not overheat. ("Great Flaming Power Supplies, Batman!")

--Rich