best multimeter today?

VernonLS

Joined Oct 9, 2019
Santa blessed me with not one, but two new digital multimeters. One is Mastech MS8268 and the other is an AstroAI DT132A. Both came with cheap, not-so-very-good leads, but they were easy to replace. I have used both of them and both take a bit longer to settle than I would like, but tolerable. Both have made a big difference in how much I trust the meter and in how often I use one. The AstroAI is smaller and that is a plus, but I find myself picking up the Mastech more often for the simple reason that it is easy to stow the meter leads in the clips on the back of the DMM and so they are always easy to find and untangled. I will be the first to admit that I have not begun to use all the features of either meter and I have had them only a month or so, but these have been my initial impressions. Hope this is helpful to another noobe.

Mike88888

Joined Dec 23, 2019
I have been shopping for a new multimeter to replace my decades old analog meter. Some of the models I have looked at are the Mastech 8268 for about $30, the AstroAI 4000 for about $25 and the Fluke 115 for about $150. There seems to be quite a price gap between the ones in the $25 -$40 range and the Fluke. I know that Fluke is an old and trusted test equipment mfg, but I know nothing about Mastech or AstroAI.

I would like to measure voltage, current, (all AC/Dc and from mv to no more than 250V and currents from ma to 10A) resistance and capacitance and would like to have an audible signal for continuity checking. About 3 to 4 digits seem enough for me. Extra features would be diode checking, temperature, frequency. Good test leads are important, but "standard" test leads that can be easily replaced in the marketplace are a necessity. I don't need a recording capability, but it would be nice if it held the last display for a few seconds.

Any reports from people that own one of these models (or another one that they are thrilled with) would be helpful as Christmas is coming up and Santa might bring me one.

thanks,

Vern
Do you mean Mestek? I bought a Mestek DM90 recently and I am very happy with it. It has audible tone for continuity also has a light and acts as a tic tester. It has 6000 counts true RMS and sold for $25.00 I am very happy with it. Mike

I still keep a Simpson 260 on the bench. Sometimes an analog meter is best for relative measurements of signal magnitude changes.

I've been a hobbist for many years. I cut my teeth on a Simpson 260 or 270 analog meter years ago. Over the years, I have acquired a number of different digital meters - cost and size were factors. I STILL have a Simpson wannabee Micronta analog meter on my bench as well as a digital meter. And for exactly the reason the YOUTUBE instructional video says - there are sometimes analog is better and there are situations where either works or digital is clearly better. Digiital is more forgiving if it is 'impacted' and the "50-decimals" is certainly reassuring. And, a NEW Simpson 270 (I think) now runs over $600, so in that instance PRICE RULES. In reality, it is hard to go very wrong no matter which digital meter you buy, practically speaking. Buy a $30-$50 meter, use it, if it meets your needs, keep it, if not get a beter model, experience will guide you. Good luck, and remember they sent rockets to the moon and satellites beyond Pluto with Simpson meters and slide rules. Kids don't 'get' plain old watches anymore, and it looks like 'plain old analog meters' either.

neospam

Joined Jan 13, 2020
I have been shopping for a new multimeter to replace my decades old analog meter. Some of the models I have looked at are the Mastech 8268 for about $30, the AstroAI 4000 for about $25 and the Fluke 115 for about $150. There seems to be quite a price gap between the ones in the $25 -$40 range and the Fluke. I know that Fluke is an old and trusted test equipment mfg, but I know nothing about Mastech or AstroAI.

I would like to measure voltage, current, (all AC/Dc and from mv to no more than 250V and currents from ma to 10A) resistance and capacitance and would like to have an audible signal for continuity checking. About 3 to 4 digits seem enough for me. Extra features would be diode checking, temperature, frequency. Good test leads are important, but "standard" test leads that can be easily replaced in the marketplace are a necessity. I don't need a recording capability, but it would be nice if it held the last display for a few seconds.

Any reports from people that own one of these models (or another one that they are thrilled with) would be helpful as Christmas is coming up and Santa might bring me one.

thanks,

Vern

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Just one little detail: lifetime warranty is 7 years after the product family is discontinied or 10 years after the purchase new. Not the lifetime of the equipment itself (as I believed and I imagine others did too).

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/support/warranties
Not to detract from their quality and reputation, of course.

I used to have a Fluke 179 and it was a war tank. I sold it to get a more electronics oriented. I recently got a 87V on the cheap that is similarly well built. Similar thing with an ancient 27/FM, which can be turned into a weapon if needed. I don't feel the same robustness on the 189 and on a 289 I used, as well as on the other brands I have (Agilent/Keysight, Uni-T and Brymen).
Hi,

Most cheap meters are guaranteed for life. Once the meter breaks, that's the end of its life so it's no longer guaranteed. :)