Best Book Lists

Vckay

Joined Aug 7, 2005
Err.. I am not even sure this belongs here. But anyway here goes...
Every semester, I look for the right books on the subjects prescribed for the semester. Admittedly books depend on a person's personal learning style,but surely there must be some books that are absolutely brilliant.
I could surely search and trawl through libraries until I find a brilliant book, but surely there are a few classics ( If that word can even be used in this context ).
For example, I liked
* Engineering Circuit Analysis by William Hayt

* Tony Kuphaldt's Book is extremely good and I definitely am not complaining,
However, there surely are books that are classics in fields like Digital Electronics, Electronic Circuits, Electron Devices, DSP etc..
List your favourites and help me out ;)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Two obvious books that should be in the arsenal of any student (and beyond student) engineer are:

The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill - Superb book focusing on the concepts of electronics as opposed to the mathematics. However, I think its still in its second edition which was released in 1989, so as you can imagine some of the content, particularly the digital stuff, is pretty outdated. Still, for someone getting to grips with the fundametals of electronics and for the advanced user looking for a quick reference, this book is a must.

Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith - I know some people are not keen on this book due to its somewhat heavy focus on mathematics in electronics. Personally, I find this book the ultimate reference for electronic circuits. Its also recently (in the last 18 months) been released as a 5th edition including a high-level of detail in newer technologies, for example CMOS.

Also for completeness, I will say that any engineer should be in possession of a copy of Kempe's Engineers Yearbook - the ultimate engineering reference book.

Vckay

Joined Aug 7, 2005
Originally posted by Dave@Sep 24 2005, 10:28 PM
Two obvious books that should be in the arsenal of any student (and beyond student) engineer are:

The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill - Superb book focusing on the concepts of electronics as opposed to the mathematics. However, I think its still in its second edition which was released in 1989, so as you can imagine some of the content, particularly the digital stuff, is pretty outdated. Still, for someone getting to grips with the fundametals of electronics and for the advanced user looking for a quick reference, this book is a must.

Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith - I know some people are not keen on this book due to its somewhat heavy focus on mathematics in electronics. Personally, I find this book the ultimate reference for electronic circuits. Its also recently (in the last 18 months) been released as a 5th edition including a high-level of detail in newer technologies, for example CMOS.

Also for completeness, I will say that any engineer should be in possession of a copy of Kempe's Engineers Yearbook - the ultimate engineering reference book.
[post=10570]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for your response.Btw any idea about a really good book on electronic circuit analysis and design?

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
the art of electronics itself may be used for ECAD... Electronic circuit Analysis and Design by Donald Neamen is pretty good.. not very mathematically rigarous but sufficiently so..
Integrated electronics by milman and halkias is very good but i think its no longer being published

Yeti

Joined Jul 26, 2005
I had this textbook for my circuit I & II classes.

Circuit Analysis 2nd Edition by Cunningham/Stuller(two authors, may have newer edition out).

I dont know how well it would work for indepepndant study, but that is what i learned my circuit basics from.
Yeti

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Vckay@Sep 25 2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks for your response.Btw any idea about a really good book on electronic circuit analysis and design?
[post=10584]Quoted post[/post]​
Dependant on your specific requirements, I will still recommend the Microelectronic Circuits book by Sedra and Smith for this task. It covers a very wide range of electronic circuit design ideas and methodologies, and analyses them in considerable detail (although some may consider the Maths somewhat complicated, for example a lot of the analysis is done in the the S-plane, however S-domain-analysis detailed in the appendices).

Is there a particular field of electronic circuit analysis and design you are looking for?

krish619

Joined Sep 16, 2005
Originally posted by Dave@Sep 26 2005, 01:03 PM
Dependant on your specific requirements, I will still recommend the Microelectronic Circuits book by Sedra and Smith for this task. It covers a very wide range of electronic circuit design ideas and methodologies, and analyses them in considerable detail (although some may consider the Maths somewhat complicated, for example a lot of the analysis is done in the the S-plane, however S-domain-analysis detailed in the appendices).

Is there a particular field of electronic circuit analysis and design you are looking for?
[post=10622]Quoted post[/post]​
you can refer following books :
Electronics devices and circuits by BOLYSTED
same by ALLEN MOTTERSHED, BY PAUL MALVINO

Vckay

Joined Aug 7, 2005
@ all:
Thanks for all the advice, I was just checking out Horowitz,Boy ! That book is very well written. I haven't found any engineering book as addictive as this one is.
I will probably buy this book.
I found Sedra and Smith quite okay too.I didn't get to look at the problems in detail,I don't have interests in any particular field of design because I am just testing the waters. However what I was looking for is a book that has challenging problems that test your creativity ( I find that I grasp better in that way.).I can't very well find that about Sedra & Smith ( or any equivalent book) just by casually browsing it. I would like some recommendations on the same.

EDIT: I believe Millman & Halkias - Integrated Electronics is still available in the market, because I recently got one.

tonykuphaldt

Joined Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by Vckay@Sep 24 2005, 09:32 AM
Err.. I am not even sure this belongs here. But anyway here goes...
Every semester, I look for the right books on the subjects prescribed for the semester. Admittedly books depend on a person's personal learning style,but surely there must be some books that are absolutely brilliant.
I could surely search and trawl through libraries until I find a brilliant book, but surely there are a few classics ( If that word can even be used in this context ).
For example, I liked
* Engineering Circuit Analysis by William Hayt

* Tony Kuphaldt's Book is extremely good and I definitely am not complaining,
However, there surely are books that are classics in fields like Digital Electronics, Electronic Circuits, Electron Devices, DSP etc..
List your favourites and help me out ;)
[post=10563]Quoted post[/post]​

Hi There,

A few of my personal favorites:

(1) Introductory Circuit Analysis by Boylestad. Still widely used and considered a classic in basic DC/AC analysis theory. Not too heavy in math, which makes it good for beginners who nevertheless want a solid engineering text to learn from. This book taught me more about circuits than any other when I wsa first learning.

(2) Modern Operational Circuit Design by John I. Smith. This little gem of a book is sadly out of print. I have a copy published by Wiley-Interscience (1971). It covers a fairly wide range of DC operational amplifier circuits, but not much on AC.

(3) Real-Time Microprocessor Systems by Savitsky. A bit dated (1985), but a fantastic overview of programming and interfacing microprocessors for real-time applications. Tons of practical advice from somenoe who has obviously been "in the trenches" working for Zilog, Inc.

- Tony

Vckay

Joined Aug 7, 2005
@ Tony : Thanks , I will check out those books you suggested.
@all: Thanks for your advice, people. I am now a happy art of electronics owner.

stanford

Joined Nov 25, 2012
Best books on electronics
1.Malvino- simple,less mathematical rigour
2.Boylestead-some more detail,little more mathematics
3.allen mottershed-some topics like rectifier,multivibrators are in detail than
in other books
4.Sedra and smith- simply one of the best books in microelectronics.its a reference
5.Millman and halkias-the classical book in microelectronics.tells the finer details,the symbols and terms used is different than in sedra.eg: for bjt analysis is based on hfe parameters
6.donald neamen- also good as reference
7.vanvalkenberg-classical book on circuits.
8.ganesh rao-good book on circuits-lot of good problems
9.sudhakar and shyammohan-good book on circuits-some tricky questions are there.
10.hayt-lot of problems and solutions-good book

iwill suggest good books on oter subjects if anybody needs to