bench power supply

jmh474

Joined Jun 26, 2014
Hi all, so i have a transformer rated at 17 volts and 5 amps also is there any way of stepping the voltage to 24 volt, i would like to make a bench power supply making variable voltage and current, im quite new to all of this electronics but mi am a electrician but i only really done houses and office building etc... so does anyone out there know of any good guides out there that can help me out please thanks

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Try reading about buck/boost circuits , but those are not simple or for a beginner imo, especially if you don't have a good scope.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

The simplest way to convert a 17vac secondary output transformer to a 24vac output transformer is to put the 17vac transformer aside and buy a 24vac output transformer :)

I am partly kidding there, but when you have 17vac at 5 amps and try to convert it a higher voltage (even DC) there will be less current available. For example, if you were successful in converting 12v at 5 amps to 24v, the maximum current available even with a perfect converter circuit would only be 2.5 amps. Because converters are not that good, even with 17v you may end up loosing 1/2 of the available current, so that leaves you with only about 3 amps maybe. That would be with a boost converter circuit.

If you use large filter caps you might get away with taking advantage of the peak voltage. Unfortunately you loose voltage with the rectifier diodes too and more at full load.