Bell 3710 PA, tube amp project

wrenchbender

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I realize there are other forums that deal with instrument tube amps and the like, but the folks at this site have been so helpful in the past, I thought I'd share this new project with you all. To date, I've replaced all the capacitors, and several resistors, and the amp now functions but am missing something in the tone. I'm interested in playing a strat or tele guitar through it, maybe some blues harp. What can I do with this schematic to get more of a tweed deluxe type of tone? Also, I measured .038 amps on one 6v6, and .040 amps on the other with about 270 volts. Comes out to about 10.5 watts. Does that sound ok?
thanks.
http://www.theused.com/manuals/bell/bell_sound_3710.pdf

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When looking at the schematic it has only a high cut as tone control.
What kind of control do you expect?

Greetings,
Bertus

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The 10.5 watts sounds about right.

Did you allow the tubes to warm up for a few minutes before testing?
And what type of speaker are you using?
You may consider EQ'ing you signal prior to input due to the minimal tone control.

Also, Did you install your speaker into an enclosure? A box?
The speaker, box construction, materials, and insulation all factor in tone.

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
He's not looking for a tone control. He's looking for that particular tone that a Fender Tweed Deluxe produces. That tone is produced by the exact combination of tubes, circuitry, box, and speakers that Fender used. Thousands of people have tried to do that with modern parts and most of them failed. Besides, the quality of the results is subjective. The best answer is, "Go buy a Tweed Deluxe". the other answer is, "Start changing parts and keep the ones that improve the sound".

I have included a schematic. Plug in your soldering iron, open your wallet, and look up www.tubesandmore.com