beliefs , personality , personal attraction ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Question 1
what defineds why a person beliefs in something as opposed to not.
It must be more then just logic, knowledge in some cases... i.e the cases where it is an opionon no true right or wrong answer.
Is it how you are brought up or totally genetics / chemically controlled.

Essentially making people totally predictable or actions/decisions predictable from how they are genetically/chemically defined

I guess a similar question add on to this question is what determines what people like or don't like... and is this changable or fix believed attributes

Question 2
If one is true about everybody is predicatable then mental/personality attraction is just the compatiablity of chemical or genetical entities coming together.
And simply feelings and believes are totally out of humans control and are defined when they are formed genetically...
Only evolution may change this.

So when people destroy others or themselves it will be out of there control.
And essentially when we speak of a bad person we are speaking of a genetical /chemical problem.

And if we could genetical take out all the problems in people we would have ultimate no criminals and essentially robot humans perfect in different areas but all turings people compatible or a subset of what I call turings people compatible

Question 3
from question 1 is it always possible to change a persons believes with enough ingenuity/ socially engineering ,...etc or does there exist beliefs no matter what you try will always be fixed beliefs for a person under any ingenuity situation ?

similar question but for likes , dislikes or attractiveness ,...etc

Question 4
Is it true that no matter who the person is there is a social/ non drug way to drive somebody insane ?
Is there away to always thru non-medical/ drugs to cure a insane person thru socially engineering/talking,...etc.
(physiologists can treat some people without drugs but are the ones that need drugs only because they haven't found a social way to do it or is it proved that some people will always need drug aids )

This is more of a joking thread but it could have serious implications into people themselves

physical human characteristics are much more easier to determine the extent of there abilities but when it comes to mental/personal/beliefs abilities these I believe cann't be fully understood without fully understanding the brain/ chemical thoughts which is impossible (currently)

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Answers
1. A combination of genetics, and environment depend on the outcome of the person. Not one or the other. A genetic issue is just a seed, it takes something to set that seed off.

2. Yes and know. We could remove many negative genes but as genetically engineering plants have shown us when you remove a gene, you don't always get the result you expected. Again I call the genetic factor a seed. If the person has the seeed and lives in an environment that promotes it, theres no way to screen em all out.

3. Of coarse read up on stockholme syndrome or brainwashing.

4. Some people its hard to get to go insane, others its quite easy. You'll find out as you go which is which.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I agree with most of what you are saying

Yes and know. We could remove many negative genes but as genetically engineering plants have shown us when you remove a gene, you don't always get the result you expected. Again I call the genetic factor a seed. If the person has the seeed and lives in an environment that promotes it, theres no way to screen em all out.
but in theory if we had no gene abnormalities then would all mental/personality disorders be cureable with no medical procedures/drugs
i.e just talking or other non-chemical based natural treatments.

Or is the brain/mind/thoughts totally controlled by genes and chemical reactions. And if genes are completely controllable in the future then could chemical reaction that effect mental disorders be completely cureable without medication / drugs

In theory it would logically make since that what was created by a bad enviroment/surroundings can be reversed in a similar manner without drug intervention (but maybe this is not true in general)
I could see a mental disorder only needing medication repeatedly only if there was a genetic or chemical disorder that was defined at birth. Not created by nature---> it would stand to reason these nature created ones are reversable to some extent without drugs and more knowledge/ people's help (but of course these thoughts/questions may never beable to be truely answered since it is probably impossible to know everything about the brain/mind in general at least to the point why one human believes in a certain way, reasons in a certain way, or has feelings in a certain way 100%)

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Some drugs and chemicals induce permanent changes, both in mind and body. Once done, it can never be undone. It is one reason we really ought to be paying closer attention to our food chain.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Some drugs and chemicals induce permanent changes, both in mind and body. Once done, it can never be undone. It is one reason we really ought to be paying closer attention to our food chain.
well, I am talking about the chemical reactions in the brain that occur when in a situation such as a bad enviroment ,...etc can those chemical reactions/changes in the brain (by feelings,..etc) never be fully reversed with out medication/drugs.

Obviously there is some mental issues that cann't / or currently cann't be treated without drugs. But are these mostly not from enviormently issues?

Because if are enviorment can hurt use permantly with no non-drug based way to fully recover this very bad for those who want to take advantage of that.

If that is true you could basically destroy somebody for life mentally... in theory humans would be weaker then computers in that aspect. (hopefully this is not true)

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
PTS (post tramatic stress) is a good example. So is BPT, one is mental, the other physical. I could point to other cases. The difference between a drug and chemical is none, it is only how you use it.

There are drugs being developed and in use that can erase memories, which I find scary. You can never get these memories back. Oddly enough, they are very useful for PTS.

There are many such drugs and chemicals. They are plentiful. Sometimes they are pure accident, a contamination, not a drug.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I think most influences come from the people around you. It's not genetic, it's not logical, it's not yourself. It's in your human nature to want to "fit in", and in order to do so, you subconsciously accept others' beliefs as your own.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
PTS (post tramatic stress) is a good example. So is BPT, one is mental, the other physical. I could point to other cases. The difference between a drug and chemical is none, it is only how you use it.

There are drugs being developed and in use that can erase memories, which I find scary. You can never get these memories back. Oddly enough, they are very useful for PTS.

There are many such drugs and chemicals. They are plentiful. Sometimes they are pure accident, a contamination, not a drug.
Yes but at what cost should you take drugs as a secondary means to help chemical reactions gone bad in the brain or other things?

For example most people wouldn't care if there was minimal side effects and they only had to take a drug for a few weeks and never again.

But if somebody had to take them over and over again or they had the possibility to screw something else up... then I would say noway 99.9999999% of the time (unless of course it is the only way they could live)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You need to watch the lastest geneohm program on pbs ,it answers all

your concerns and more.They have only begun to understand all the parts

of the DNA and the effects.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
You need to watch the lastest geneohm program on pbs ,it answers all

your concerns and more.They have only begun to understand all the parts

of the DNA and the effects.
I will have to catch that tv show haven't seen it yet

this is probably getting into a turings test type of discussion.

But is there any known factor that differentiates a human from all theoritical machines / robot.

Likewise is it true that whatever an enviroment can cause on a person brain/mind is it always reversable thru non-drug means or one shot drugs.
Or will there always exist enviromental conditions that will cause a person to have to take drugs forever.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009

Thats how LSD was discovered. In the 50's Albert Hoffman was doing research on ergot fungus's and when he went home he was tripping his but off from getting contaminated. He said he first realized something wasn't right riding his bike home from work. Then he actually found the chemical and it was used for PTSD, and many other mental ailments. Many doctors still believe LSD, MDMA, and now the hot one is mushrooms or psylocybin. There finding in people in hospice in terminal condition that high doses of psylocybin helped the people come to terms with their condition. Over 80% said it was one of the most memorable and peaceful times of their lives.