beginner with PICs

karimC

Joined Feb 1, 2013
hi,i want to start using PICs but i don't know where to start.any advices,any beginner's circuits.thanks in advance

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Start by getting a PICKit 2 or 3

I use Boost C for coding, it's very affordable, and supports the 12F series to 18F series.

There is also MikroC, which supports a few more devices at a higher cost, or if only using the 18F series, Microchip C18 is a good choice, the non-optimizing version is free.

If you want to use BASIC, PicBasic Pro has some good reviews.

What do you plan to do with microcontrollers? There are a ton of projects from blinking an LED to a fully autonomous robot for hobby projects.

The PICKit 3 Debug Express Kit is a good starter kit that includes a mounted 18F 44 pin powerful PIC, PICKit 3, and examples in C.

Searching the forum for PIC, especially in "Completed Projects Collection" will net you many results for what is possible.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Actually BoostC is more than just "affordable", it's free for non-commercial users and small projects. That makes it just right for a beginner.

I would recommend Microchips MPLAB.
It interfaces to quite a lot of hardware.

I would get a PICKIT3. I am not a fan of none microchip gear. Lets face it if Microchip cant get it right then who can ?

With MPLAB you can use assembler or you can download their c compilers free of charge for small projects.