begginer, out of my depth, galaxy projector night light repar, Advice please.

retroblue

Joined Apr 4, 2021
Hi All
I'm in need of help, totally new to the electronics repair world.

So my son dropped his new galaxy projector night light. So he says. Looks more like he has forced the usb lead in to hard and ripped the port of the PCB.
I did a quick search on- USB micro port repair, Damaged PCB micro usb port, it didnt bring anything up on the forum.
I'm a very fresh begginer at this. I wanted to have a go as its something I've wanted to get into for a while. So got the budged soldering kit from amazon, heat gun, digital microscope. RA Rosin flux paste.
I originally only thought it would want to be re-soldered in place. Looking at this looks to have damaged the PCB.
If this is the case its beyond my skill, and the soldering iron from amazon will not switch on. So I've got a heat gun and flux....
I'm guessing I'm out of luck. But advice on tools and repair methods will be much appriciated.
Looking at getting a soldering station now, the kit seemed a good buy with the multimeter and bits that come with it.

pcb repair.jpg

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Yeah! I'm good like that ---"crystal ball" you know.
If you could perhaps take another photo not so close a wider angle I'm trying to see the traces for the power it doesn't look like you're using data thank goodness cuz the pads got ripped off . You know just give me all the info you got make model whatever you scrape up throw it all at me please, thank you. Take a few photos component side. :)

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Great! It can be repaired. you going to need some solder wick( braided copper wire with flux embedded )to get all of the solder off the pads of the micro USB both on the board and on the connector itself and you're going to need to practice desoldering and soldering I don't want you spending any more money on it than you have to perhaps we can work with what came in your kit.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Thank goodness everyone here at AAC so helpful it's time for the Easter egg hunt the kids are tugging me away so I got to go thay always pick me I don't know why maybe crystal ball or something. You'll do fine and these guys will help you out I'll be back in a couple hours

retroblue

Joined Apr 4, 2021
OK thank you. I've got the desolder wick on order now from amazon. So I press the hot iron again the wick, this then absorbs the left over solder?

retroblue

Joined Apr 4, 2021
Thank goodness everyone here at AAC so helpful it's time for the Easter egg hunt the kids are tugging me away so I got to go thay always pick me I don't know why maybe crystal ball or something. You'll do fine and these guys will help you out I'll be back in a couple hours
Thank you, enjoy the egg hunt..

retroblue

Joined Apr 4, 2021
Once the Wick arrives tomorrow. I'll see how I get on with that. Fingers crossed the issue will be solved. Unless I totally mess it up.

retroblue

Joined Apr 4, 2021
Morning all.
Just wondering, I've got a load of old sky boxes VHS units, old SBCs. Would you say using these to de-solder, solder, use the wick, For practise? I'm still managing to burn the plastic components around the area I'm soldering if it's a congested area. Struggling to get a good hold on components while trying to solder them, resulting in poor cold solders and wonky components. It looks so easy on YouTube vids, it was a different story when I attempt the same things.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Morning all.
Just wondering, I've got a load of old sky boxes VHS units, old SBCs. Would you say using these to de-solder, solder, use the wick, For practise? I'm still managing to burn the plastic components around the area I'm soldering if it's a congested area. Struggling to get a good hold on components while trying to solder them, resulting in poor cold solders and wonky components. It looks so easy on YouTube vids, it was a different story when I attempt the same things.
If you are not using 63/37 alloy solder, you need to get some right away. Cold solder joints are impossible with a eutectic alloy, and the melting point is the lowest. Also, most of those things you mention will use lead free solder which makes everything much harder. To desolder a lead free solder joint, first put a small amount of 63/37 solder on it to lower the melting point and let is stay liquid longer.

retroblue

Joined Apr 4, 2021
If you are not using 63/37 alloy solder, you need to get some right away. Cold solder joints are impossible with a eutectic alloy, and the melting point is the lowest. Also, most of those things you mention will use lead free solder which makes everything much harder. To desolder a lead free solder joint, first put a small amount of 63/37 solder on it to lower the melting point and let is stay liquid longer.
Thank you for the advice. Can I ask if the thinner the wire the better?
The options on the order are-
0.8mm
1.0mm
1.2mm.
Start off small and work up...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you for the advice. Can I ask if the thinner the wire the better?
The options on the order are-
0.8mm
1.0mm
1.2mm.
Start off small and work up...
.8mm is a reasonable size but I wouldn't go larger. It might even help to have .015" to help regulate the amount you use particularly for SMD components as a beginner.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
It looks fine and if it needs replacing please use genuine parts from reputable distributors not Amazon.
Also the part you are linking is the wrong part.
Amazon isn't the OEM, just the vendor. UXCELL is the oem- and their parts are fine. I'm glad you found the correct part however, I had a hard time telling by the image (I hate my bifocals).

retroblue

Joined Apr 4, 2021
I've now got a list of items I'm going to try and do. The cheap tube amp kit, has just arrived, PCB radio kit also. Should help me get used to getting polarities correct, and practice with soldering. I want to try and design my own PCB headphone amp. That's the dream anyways.