Beer Pong Table with LEDs!!!! Help

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
TB is terminal block. Refer to post #36, it was a suggestion how to connect the LEDs/resistors under the (wooden?) tabletop to the rest of the electronics elsewhere. I was also talking about cooling of the electronics about that time.

I had also mentioned the possibility of making a DIY printed circuit board.

Sometimes you have to double read threads, it is easy to miss details.

adamcswant

Joined Mar 23, 2011
OK so I completely redid the breadboard and now things are starting to look up... Turns out the timer must not of been hooked up right because at least now D1 is blinking and R1 is controlling the blink speed. If I hook up a LED to the Out0 it comes on every 4th blink. So it appears the sequencer side is all hooked up right.

Now I'm still having issues with the Green Sequence 1. I've redone the board about 5 times now on this section and the light is just always on... I can see that when I disconnect power that DG001 does fade out like it should... I'm at a loss. This section seems so simple compared to the sequencer side, yet I can't seem to get it to work.

adamcswant

Joined Mar 23, 2011
The Yellow wire coming straight down the middle is ground.
The White wire that goes off to the top left is ground.
The Blue wire that goes off to the bottom right is ground.
The Green wires are 24VDC.
Ohh and the Green wire that you see at the top of the image comes from Out0 of the 4017.

adamcswant

Joined Mar 23, 2011
So I was trying to figure this out on my own and I got it to work... I swapped out QG11 with a 2907 (instead of the 2222) and that made the LED act like it should (On then fade out). I thought it might be fading too slow so I took a wild guess and swapped out GR14 for a 10K instead of the 100K and that seemed to speed up the fade. I'm going to work on getting the other sequences built so I can see the 4 LEDs chase. I need more bread board...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect you are having the same problems as the gentleman in this thread

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=52692 (aka Strange Behavior)

Basically you need every thing as short as possible, with the bypass capacitors next to the power supply pins on the chips.

Scan the thread I pointed out, I had some recommendations (expecially the preshaped wires) that apply in your wiring.

Do you have any friends into electronics? It never hurts to have local resources (not that anyone here minds helping you). The resistors need to be sized to the board too.

I draw several prototype circuits as part of some of my articles. The wires and components really look the way I draw them.

A PCB also simplifies the wiring greatly.

Last edited:
So the plan is to put leds all on the perimeter of the table and have a few under each cup. My question for everyone is how do I power the leds? What parts will I need?

For the border I'm using 240 green, 240 red, and 240 yellow leds. Their forward voltage is 3.2, 2, 2.2 respectively @ 25 mA.

Originally the plan was for it to run off of batteries... like D-Cells, but it may be just to much to ask from batteries.

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. It's a Bob Marley themed table. Pics will definitely be posted of the finished product.
Is there any power outlet?