beat reactive LEDs

thebozenator

Joined Dec 27, 2010
hi everybody!

I am trying to create a circuit that will blink a strip of LEDs (requiring 18V) to the beat of a song using a microphone input. I figure i need an adjustable low pass filter as i only want the LEDs to react to the low frequency beats but still want to be able to "tune in" on the correct frequencies. I would also like to run the circuit off of a 3V source. I figure the basic circuit would be:

preamp>mic>adjustable low pass filter>amp(to 18V)>LEDs

As a programmer i have a fairly limited knowledge of circuits but I still know my way around a soldering iron.

Can anyone tell me if the above circuit would work? and how i could go about designing it?

thanks.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
HI.

Welcome to the forum.

Forrest M. Mims III made a LED VU Meter. The LEDs lighted up according to the tone.

It was a link to it in this forum, but now I can't seem to find it. :(

thebozenator

Joined Dec 27, 2010
Alright, so i goggled "color organ" and it seemed to be exactly what i was looking for. With that in mind, I eventually came up with this circuit:

I have yet to calculate any of the resistor values, capacitor values, etc. I just need to know if the basic circuit will do what I want. Any suggestions they will also be greatly appreciated. :)