Be Very Careful as to What You Opine Online

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There is a very thin line between opinion (thinking it) and defamation (saying it in undeniable text). Crossing that line can be financially hazardous... There has been an increasing number of these cases. In particular when the person or company being complained about online have deep pockets and a litigious nature.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There is a very thin line between opinion (thinking it) and defamation (saying it in undeniable text). Crossing that line can be financially hazardous... There has been an increasing number of these cases. In particular when the person or company being complained about online have deep pockets and a litigious nature.
The legal bar for defamation is really quite high. It has to be intentional lying to damage a reputation. That's very hard to prove. Apparently, he just didn't bother to show up. And, it's not risk-free for the company bringing a suit, since they can be stuck with defendant legal costs if there is no merit to the case.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Lawsuits are always a risk but when your pockets are deep and your anger high... Of course to quote my old family lawyer "Sue the bastards". The lawyers gets paid either way (unless they foolishly take the case on contingency as a gamble and lose).

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In the United States telling the truth won't get you deeply into trouble. If he had been telling the truth he would be ok. Missing a court date -that's admitting defeat.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
In these days of litigation

I would like to put on record that anywhere on the forum,
all my views are my views, and my experiences.
any offence is not intended and I apologies if any has been caused in any form.

There you go , .....

God bless the Us for litigation lawyers.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Any opinions expressed or implied are based on my knowledge and experience, and the result of good faith efforts to provide honest information. All communication here is subject to review, revision, or retraction in light of new information should it come to my attention.

It is a positive defense against defamation is that statements in question are true and I never say things I know to be false. This disclaimer may be subject to legal limitations and provides no guarantee statements made by me are correct, only that they are correct to the best of my knowledge at the time they are made.

By clicking on this message, you agree that I will be held harmless to the extent allowed by law and the moderators of AAC.

Your state may provide additional protections and limitations. Void where prohibited. Not a government agency.

Last edited:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Any opinions expressed or implied are based on my knowledge and experience, and the result of good faith efforts to provide honest information. All communication here is subject to review, revision, or retraction in light of new information should it come to my attention.

It is a positive defense against defamation is that statements in question are true and I never say things I know to be false. This disclaimer may be subject to legal limitations and provides no guarantee statements made be me are correct, only that they are correct to the best of my knowledge at the time they are made.

By clicking on this message, you agree that I will be held harmless to the extent allowed by law and the moderators of AAC.

Your state may provide additional protections and limitations. Void where prohibited. Not a government agency.
I would like to Second, Promote, Bolster, Advocate, Endorse, Support, Popularize,
Boost, and generally "Put a Cherry on Top of", Yaakov's disclaimer.

And add to it, that it's a cryin'-disgrace that the World has come to a point where
making such statements might ever be thought to be "necessary",
or even merely "not-automatically-assumed" by everyone past the age of 6-years old.

Sadly, that is not the case.

What ever happened to "Treat others as you would like to be treated" ????

Unfortunately, Victim-Mentality is the default attitude for anything certain people don't like,
or even worse, are the Virtue-Signalling People,
who will go to ANY length to defend them,
so as to make themselves "feel-better" for "defending the weak".

Being "offended" by someone else's words, or attitude, is strictly YOUR personal choice.
No one is born "extra-sensitive" to certain words or attitudes,
you have to be taught to have an adverse reaction to anything, it's just a hard fact.

I sincerely feel sorry for anyone who is genuinely offended by anything I may write or say.
I will freely spend hours of my time,
assisting anyone who asks,
to help them get rid of their terrible affliction,
and BTW, I'm really good at it, even magical.
I've already prevented 2-suicides, and completely cured 2-Alcoholics, with very little effort.

But that doesn't mean that I'm going to "Tippy-Toe" around them, that would be condescending,
and regardless, it in no way, makes me responsible for their own personal decisions in Life.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

It is a positive defense against defamation is that statements in question are true and I never say things I know to be false. This disclaimer may be subject to legal limitations and provides no guarantee statements made by me are correct, only that they are correct to the best of my knowledge at the time they are made.

What he said.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
So your saying that those two people can now have a drink, without falling off the wagon?
It has pretty much nothing to do with any
conventional, stereotypical, "Recovering-Alcoholic", narratives.
They now understand how .......
their Conscience works, and, how some people don't have a Conscience, and,
how everybody will make mistakes in Life, and sometimes you can't un-do them, and how to fix that,
and, how they can be either a true value to the rest of the World, and themselves,
or, they can be a liability to themselves and the World.

There is, of course, more to it than that,
but those are the basic ideas that need to be well understood.

Generally, after getting these previous subjects worked-out,
and learning a few things about what Alcohol does to your health,
either short-term, or long-term,
they just don't have time for poisoning themselves for "Entertainment",
and they start re-discovering how interesting and fun Life can be.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It has pretty much nothing to do with any
conventional, stereotypical, "Recovering-Alcoholic", narratives
So you know more than any medical doctor? While to a certain extent psychology has something to do with alcoholism it is still for the most part a medical sickness/disease. And recognized as one. I can almost guarantee if your miracle cured patients kept their mind set that you instilled to them and had a couple of drinks, they would find they aren't cured at all.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
So you know more than any medical doctor? While to a certain extent psychology has something to do with alcoholism it is still for the most part a medical sickness/disease. And recognized as one. I can almost guarantee if your miracle cured patients kept their mind set that you instilled to them and had a couple of drinks, they would find they aren't cured at all.
There are many things in Life that don't work the way we were all taught, or that we just assumed.

If you knew half of the bad health side-effects of Alcohol, you'd swear it should be labeled Poison.
That goes for Sugar, and super-refined Carbohydrates as well,
which is basically what Alcohol is, or is converted into, in your body.

And Yes, Sugar is every bit as addictive as Alcohol.

I really don't care what "Everybody-Knows",
I'm not looking for agreement with "Authority",
I get positive results where "Common-Knowledge" Fails, over and over again.
And I've been actively doing it for over ~40-years.

Question EVERYTHING .........

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Question EVERYTHING .........
That's what I'm doing, that you don't seem to like. I have known people like you, and this forum has many of them. The BS meter is reading very high on your claims, even the ones you later retract. Like the high HP plastic engine.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
That's what I'm doing, that you don't seem to like. I have known people like you, and this forum has many of them. The BS meter is reading very high on your claims, even the ones you later retract. Like the high HP plastic engine.
So question 'till your heart's content.
Where did you ever get the idea that "I don't like it" ??? Or did you just assume that ?
And, I haven't "retracted" a single word, I choose my words carefully,
but there may be some sort of mis-understanding.
I always like to clear-up misunderstandings, and have my mistakes pointed out.
More, and better, communication is always a good thing.

And, BTW, I can guarantee that you don't know anyone like me,
'cause I'm the only one that is me, and everybody's unique, and that's a beautiful thing.
I would appreciate it if you would stop trying to put me in a box,
I don't label other people,
unless I personally see them do things that clearly demonstrate that they are dangerous.

Opinions are merely "speculations" about things that a person does not understand very well,
that's why Opinions are only of limited usefulness,
and should never be relied upon as absolute "fact",
regardless of where, or who, the Opinion originates from.

Therefore, when I put a great deal of experience and effort in to communicating
an idea or concept, and someone wants to give a negative "opinion",
without asking any questions,
or making an attempt to achieve a better understanding,
then I don't place much significance on their opinion.

Most people live their Life continuously looking for
some kind of validation or "proof" that they are "right" and not "crazy",
(wrong and crazy are basically the same thing),
(wrong = death = losing the game),
(right = perceived better survival = winning the game).

I don't like expressing my opinion, because if I do,
it just reminds me that I don't have enough actual experience regarding that subject.
So, if it seems to be a somewhat serious subject matter,
I keep my mouth shut,
unless there's no other choice, such as in a Life-or-Death situation.

Some people think that having an opinion means that they "know" something,
and "feel" that they have a "Right" to express it.
Well, they certainly have the "Right",
and I'm certainly glad that I'm not them.

I make no money contributing to these Forums, but I do learn things,
and I hope to cause other people to "think-outside-the-box", because this will
ultimately make the World a better place for me, and everyone else, to live in.
And, if I do nothing, I can't bitch about how bad the World sucks.
( not the actual World, but a large number of the people in it,
who potentially make it miserable for everyone else ).

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And, I haven't "retracted" a single word, I choose my words carefully,
OK maybe "retracted" was the wrong word to use. Should have said "deleted". You deleted a whole spiel about the new magic internal combustion motor, one that requires no balancing, uses no metals, burns any form of fuel, etc, etc. You know the one, the one you are trying to get investors for. Yes, I did see your quest for people to invest.