Be nice to those "machines".

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Oh man, I love the Twilight zone. I saw that one. Excellent classic sci fi.

By the way, Spinnaker, I am getting really tired of the fact that the only electronics store in Pittsburgh is Radio Shack. Its either them, or online, or steal it from the lab in University. How do you personally deal with it? Just order online?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Oh man, I love the Twilight zone. I saw that one. Excellent classic sci fi.

By the way, Spinnaker, I am getting really tired of the fact that the only electronics store in Pittsburgh is Radio Shack. Its either them, or online, or steal it from the lab in University. How do you personally deal with it? Just order online?

Ah yes my electronics buddy from the Burgh!

I order online from Mouser or on eBay. I look for the free shipping. I hate paying the shipping.

I just ordered a bunch of general purpose transistors. I wanted PNP but with my dyslexia I ordered NPN. Guess what I already have a bunch! Now I have enough to last me a life time. :)

If you have any PNPs to trade or if you need some 2n3904s just let me know. You are longer than me so you might get to use them up by the end of your life. :)

Also looking for some 7 Segment BCD decoders that work with common cathode 7 segment displays. Ordered the wrong thing there too. I have a couple of 74LS47s. I can get them to work but they are going to require an extra pullup resistor to VCC.

Some stuff I order comes from China, Taiwan etc. It takes longer but it is cheaper. You just need to watch what you order and where you order. I figure it all comes from there anyway.

I just got a couple of free PICs from Microchip. Their search is incorrect for "Samples available" . It shows only two in DIP but there are actually several others. The one I can't really use for much other than experimenting. But I have a number of other PICs on hand for that anyway.

There use to be a number of places in Pittsburgh. Tydings Electronics, South Hills Electronics (I think they had 2 stores) and Olsons Electronics. They did not really sell new parts just mainly surplus stuff the way I remember. Radio Shack carried far more parts back then too.

Once it gets warm, maybe I will take a ride out to Oakland to say hello. I was out today on the trail going down the Ohio / Allegheny and took a loop through the strip district. It was just crazy down there.

Let me now if you have an extras to trade.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I get free stuff from my school. Resistors, caps, as many as you want. Certain chips, etc. I'm in the Swanson School of Engineering. Going to have an internship this spring with a local company, try out what its like to be an actual engineer. Can't wait.