bcd to 16 segment (hex) decoder

Nathan Hale

Joined Oct 28, 2011
Hi all! i just learnt that there is an IC that is a BCD to 7 segment display decoder. it is called "DM7442A
BCD to Decimal decoder."
I am looking for an IC that can be a bcd to 16 segment (hex) decoder. do they make such ICs? can you give me a generic number for it? thank you.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The 7-segs are display from 0~9, as 74LS47, CD4511.
What do you want for 16-segs?
Do you want to find the IC to display 0~9,A~F?
74LS42 is a 4 - 10 decoder.
A similar function with 74LS42 is 74LS154, 74LS154 is a 4-Line to 16-Line Decoder/Demultiplexer.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Your words are confused. A binary to 7 segment driver is not a decimal decoder.
DM7442A is a 4 line binary to 10 outputs decoder.
ScottWang has provided a 4 line binary to 16 outputs chip, 74LS154.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Are you referring to the 16 segments LED like those attached?

I am afraid there is no general chips that will decode those. But I think you can use two 8-bit latches like 74HC573 connected to a mcu or just use two 8-bit ports for all the segments and have it decoded in software.

Allen

Attachments

Nathan Hale

Joined Oct 28, 2011
Are you referring to the 16 segments LED like those attached?

I am afraid there is no general chips that will decode those. But I think you can use two 8-bit latches like 74HC573 connected to a mcu or just use two 8-bit ports for all the segments and have it decoded in software.

Allen
Those are it!!!! Thats what i was talking about!!! do they makes ready made ICs for those??? thank you

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi all! i just learnt that there is an IC that is a BCD to 7 segment display decoder. it is called "DM7442A
BCD to Decimal decoder."
I am looking for an IC that can be a bcd to 16 segment (hex) decoder. do they make such ICs? can you give me a generic number for it? thank you.
BCD stands for binary coded decimal, that can count in binary from 0 to 9 - any codes after that are "illegal" codes.

If you want to count up to 16, the input will be 4-bit binary.

Lerato

Joined Sep 10, 2013
Hi,
I am Lerato, last time when I visited this site I got a very useful information; I wanted to display "hello World" on my 20x2 LCD display using mpasm language on PIC16F690. Fortunately someone by the name of Andy, posted the very same question. He/She got help from Mike. Now since I can at least follow that code (the code that Mike gave Andy), can I modify/use that code on my school's project?
I am looking forward to your response at your earliest conviniet time :)
Many thanks...
Lerato

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Good morning Lerato! First off I have a tiny bit of bad news: you've already committed a no-no by inserting your question into another person's thread. It's just proper to assume the thread is owned by the person who started it, and it is there to serve his/her needs.

The good news is threads are free so you can start your own! Do not be surprised if a moderator moves your question to it's own thread, and possible to a new forum, as "Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers" would be a better place for this question.

As far as the code Mike and Ike and Andy used, I have no idea what code that is. If you have a link post that, but you can probably use that code in your project.

The web is full of LCD code. The trick is to get all the wires correct (including the pot), get the code correct, and provide some delays for everything to work. If one piece is not right then nothing works (but nothing breaks permanently either) (well, usually).

Microchip has a library of sorts they give away called XLCD for the C language. It is not the best documentation but I've been using it for years now. It makes a good starting point for further refinements. I'd recommend starting with that, but just about any code you find someone got to work.

And welcome to the forums!