BCD Counter

Hasnatsaeed

Joined Sep 23, 2010
Hi i need to build a 4 bit binary counter that displays a decimal number on a single 7 segemnt display.I dont know anyhting about it right now.I mean i just came out of my DLD class with a piece of paper saying that i should submit the project by next wednesday.Now I need to build a counter that either increments or decrements a decimal number when i press a switch .i mean to say there should be a switch which when i press decrements the decimal number and another one that increments the decimal number.The numbers i need to display are from 0 to 9.so ill be using a single 7 segment dispaly .Now whats next??.I will be glad if you explain it in detail as the only limited knowledge i have about this topic is how to display a decimal number on a 7 segment display with the help of 7447 decoder and thats all.I have no knowledge about cloaks and other IC's that'l be used in this project so please please be explanatory and help me people.thank you

adriano08

Joined Apr 25, 2010
Hello.

You need a BCD counter and 7-segment decoder.

7447 is the decoder. You can use IC such as 4511 for your BCD counter.

Google it, the solution is there.

Any doubt just post here.

Hasnatsaeed

Joined Sep 23, 2010
Yes i searched for it on google and found out that 4510 is an IC that outputs binary version of decimal number starting from 0 to 9 (and then resets) when pulses are delivered to the cloak input.well the question now is whats a cloak? and what does it mean by pulses?.how can i provide such input?.and how can i control the increment and decrement with some sort of switches?..please i mentionaed that i am a total nill at this point so please explain this.and thank you for what you told me so far.It really has helped.i can pretty much make the schematics of the project but please ..the pulses or cloak part.Explain that too.thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That is a "clock" input. Logic states change in a coordinated fashion by following a clock signal. The data sheet for the logic IC will demonstrate how the clock changes to state of the internal logic. Follow the truth table to see how the IC works.

You will have a hard time trying to run a 7447 TTL IC wirh a CMOS IC. Instead of the 4510, use a 74160. It is compatible with the 7447 (same logic family), and is a BCD counter. Always get data sheets for logic ICs you plan to use. Be aware that unused inputs are going to cause problems unless they are tied to ground (logic 0) or Vcc (logic high). TTL can fail with an input shorted to ground, so always use a 4.7K pullup resistor for each input pulled up.

Starting from scratch can be overwhelming. Try this link inot our Ebook for some basic information - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_3/1.html