Battery overcharging?

timotb

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Im trying to find out if I can keep my "Todd model PC30" charger continuously connected to my deep cycle battery. I cant ask Todd from Tucson AZ, because they are out of business. Of course I’m concerned about overcharges, but wonder if this charger which touts, "provided with integral protection against overloads," will trickle and float?

It is used in a cabin where I want to keep a 12volt battery system working with intermittent 120volt grid power.

timotb

Joined Oct 31, 2009
I havent ruled out anything. I have the battery and the charger and would like to see that work if possible and keep it simple

I should point out that the cabin only runs a 12 volt alarm and notification. Neither require much electric beyond a simple 12 volt battery. I will study the Uninterruptible Power Supply concept.

timotb

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Voltage with the charger attached is 13.07 volts.....steady Is this defined as a "float charge?"

Shouldn't I be concerned with Amperage as well? If I did the amperage test correct I connected the meter in-line across the positive side, set the meter for 200mA, then touched the lead to battery terminal to read 21.1, also steady.

Yes...I have been goggling info on the Todd chargers with little useful info coming up...and thanks for the URL on batteryuniversity.com... I might be able to answer my own question in few minutes.

Last edited:

MaxSmoke

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I use a Ctek charger for my motorcycle, I have found them to be very good. The charger can charge my Odyssey dry lead acid battery (Absorbed Glass Mat - I think), which most chargers cannot charge, simply because most chargers do not have the correct charge characteristic for the Odyssey batteries. Ctek may not be what you are looking for, but here is the link to their website ...

Ctek Battery Chargers

The other point to remember when charging lead acid batteries is the requirement for adequate ventilation. The amount of gas release varies with lead acid battery technology, but should be considered.

Smoke_Maker

Joined Sep 24, 2007
I'm not sure about that Harbor Fright charger, you get what you pay for. The marine industry is a much better way to go, it's going to cost more but it will last longer and be nicer to your batteries. Just be careful what you connect to you battery or you could be committing batticide.

timotb

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Thats what Im debating at the moment. Is Harborfreight 99857 really an improvement over my Todd Charger.

Ill have to look at some marine chargers.