Battery Low

dogstail

Joined May 8, 2008
I am looking for any idea's / circuits on a battery low indicator the battery will only be 3v need the indicator to activate at 2.5v. Can any one help thanks.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Do you need it to light an LED or just give a voltage level? A simple op am with a couple of resistors and diodes would do the latter just fine.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, it gets a bit tricky, but is doable. The problem is the voltage needed to light up the LED. Older LEDs use less dropping voltage, so I'll assume that. Someone else may come up with something better, but I'll see what I can draw up in a bit.

OK, I've never built this, but I think it should work. I was aiming for as low power as possible.

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
The MAX8211 should, if his battery cutoff is 2.5v. Its sink current is 4mA (min) and output saturation is 0.17v (typical...I was wrong earlier...0.4v Max)...that leaves at least 2.1v for a high brightness red LED and current limiting resistor.

Ken

AchMED

Joined Aug 5, 2008
It can swing to Vol+0.4 Vcc worst case. They spec 0.8mA for a 3V rail. More then enough to drive a LED. I usually only use 20 to 30 uA.

Ive never tested it down to that low a voltage though but according to the datasheet it is doable.